Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2,319 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok...I ran across a Marlin 717 M2 today. This is a sweet little rifle but I know nothing about the 17 Mach 2 ammo it requires. Has anyone had any experience with these? Wondering if the 17 Mach 2 ammo is rare as hens teeth to find also. I was curious why this little rifle was only 150 bucks...might be lots of reasons...

·
Registered
322 Posts
I've been shooting one for years, and like it a lot. Shoots like a laser out to 100 yds, and performance on little furry things is very impressive. That said, the 17HMR does outperform it, but at close to twice the cost. Ammo comes up occasionally, and you have to be ready to pounce. It's worth the search.
Another thing, I've read that Marlin discontinued this because of pressure curve problems resulting in premature opening of the action, and ensuing case head failures. I've never had it happen, but that doesn't mean it can't - sure could get your attention.

·
Registered
2,319 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Redmist...That's some real good information to know! I figured there must be some reason Marlin quit making this rifle.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.