Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,542 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know I could google it, but figured you guys could/would point me in the right direction out of the shoot and save a lot of wasted video viewing.

Buddy has a Marlin 60 that is not functioning properly. We both suspect that the bolt/carrier track is just filthy and needs a good deep cleaning. He has been unable to determine how to disassemble the bolt group. Any help would be appreciated. Thanx

·
Registered
188 Posts
What is not functioning properly. Failure to fire, failure to feed, failure to eject? They all could have different causes. A good full disassemble and cleaning works wonders. Like others have said, be careful with the bolt spring when removing and replacing the bolt. I ruined one before I learned my lesson. Once good and clean put back together and see what the function is. Could be a lifter, lifter spring, wrong angle of spring on top of feed throat.
Once you do it a couple of times it is very easy to do. I have polished all the parts that rub together in the action, bolt and receiver. All my model 60s run flawlessly (one from the 70s, 90s and 2010s)

·
Premium Member
1,542 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
From what I can tell... it is probably just filthy... Buddy's MIL's gun. Inherited. Bet is, a thorough clenaing would do the trick. All I could tell is, the bolt was really hesitant to return to battery when you hand cycled it. I will look at the sticky, etc. We will probably bring it over to my place and tear it down/clean it and see what we have. Thanx!

·
Premium Member
1,542 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Please read sticky #7. It has helped many people.
Would love too... But can't seem to get to the actual download from here...! Any easier way to download it?!?

Looks like you are/were the creator. Can you email/pm a better link to me? Thanx

·
El Kabong
8,333 Posts
If you use needle nose pliers to remove the spring & rod, you will not kink the spring, it you do, or it is, Marlin sells the springs for $3 bucks.
Mine had a bent spring, so I bought 3, one has been in there for years, the other two are put away.

·
Registered
734 Posts
Warning...in that video, he reassembles the action with the bolt forward. Always reassemble with the bolt locked fully back so you do not risk pinching the ejector wire.

·
Super Moderator
5,162 Posts
Oscar,If you run into a snag,or just want a step by step, pm me and I'll give you my phone number.It just sounds dirty to me.There are few guns easier to disassemble than the model 60.

·
Premium Member
1,542 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Oscar,If you run into a snag,or just want a step by step, pm me and I'll give you my phone number.It just sounds dirty to me.There are few guns easier to disassemble than the model 60.
You guys are THE BEST!!!! I told my buddy you would come through!

Deerhog - PM coming. And I will try and give you a heads-up when I plan to try and disassemble the rifle. And like you, I think the rifle is just plain dirty and a good cleaning will fix the problem. Thanx again!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts