Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hello. my name's Nate. I'm new to this forum, well, I should say a new member. I've been coming here for a while to get info, and since I now own two marlins (model 60 and 336A) I figured its about time I join. Anyway my question is regarding the date of my newly acquired used model 60. the serial number is 06215xxx. From what I have learned so far the date code is supposedly 2000 minus the first two digits. which would make it a 1994. I've also read contradicting info saying that 06 might mean 2006, and on the other hand 2006 models used serials starting with 94. So, I'm pretty confused. The guy I bought it from said it was only a few years old. It doesn't appear to be as old as a 1994. My rifle has the 22'' long barrel, 14 round mag tube, and the last shot bolt hold open feature. However I read that the newer models have the short 19'' barrel. Am I wrong in assuming that 2006 would be considered "newer model" and should have the 19'' barrel? meaning that mine probably is a 1994? So between the confusing date coding and not being able to find exactly when these came with shorter barrels I'm at a loss dating this thing. Any help is much appreciated. thank you for your time.
IMG_1504.jpg

·
Registered
1,647 Posts
Welcome to the site Nate! Your rifle is indeed a 1994. The way I do the date thing is subtract the first two digits of the serial number from 100, the remainder is the year. So, 100-06=94 or 1994. The subtracting from 2000 thing works the same way. I like your model 60, it looks like a nice one.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thank you guys for the amazingly quick response time! I appreciate the help. Yeah i like the rifle. I bought it for a 100 bucks. The previous owner has a few of them so he put a couple hundred rounds through this one and put it back in the box. After a thorough cleaning and some bolt polishing she runs like a charm. Great little rifles, more accurate than i am. I figured a 100 bucks for a barely used rifle is a good deal. Thanks again for your help. take care now.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts