Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looks like the black/gray laminate Marlin stock isn't available anywhere, so I see Boyd's has a nice looking "pepper" laminate stock. Their Rimfire Target Hunter model.

It is a "finished" stock, only since it will work for a mod 795 as well as a 60, it needs to have the channel for the tube magazine cut out for it to work on my mod 60.

I'm good with metal, not too much experience with woodworking... any suggestions on the best way to cut the channel for the tube mag would sure help. (don't say gunsmith... I want to do this myself for bragging rights in case somebody likes the way it looks ;) )

Thanks for any advice!!

·
Premium Member
5,018 Posts
Hey there Awfull -- I'm a little confused by your post. The stock is for a Mod. 60, and you have a Mod. 60? But... If you need a groove... A core box cutter for a router is one way. They come in different widths. Here is a picture of one in use on a forend I'm building. It was to be completely free floating so the gap is by design. You need to eliminate the taper, if there is any on the stock, with a long wedge (shim) and align the whole thing up on the center line of the stock. Don't be greedy and take a couple passes. Hope this helps. Best regards. Wind

·
Premium Member
4,446 Posts
Awfull said:
It is a "finished" stock, only since it will work for a mod 795 as well as a 60, it needs to have the channel for the tube magazine cut out for it to work on my mod 60.
I am a woodworker also - but Wind may have missed the part about THE MAG TUBE - not the barrel as shown in his pictures. You can do the same with the mag tube channel using a much smaller router bit but I would set up the equipment and jigs then practice the cuts with some blank hardwood. You can get some poplar blocks at Lowes or Home Depot in the CRAFT WOODS section - a 2"x2" in 24 and 36 inch lengths that would be a good simulation of a stock. They have those pieces in Poplar and Oak. The Oak might be closer in density to the laminate stock and the poplar not as hard as the laminate stock but the poplar would be easier to work with for test runs. I would much rather mess up a $5 piece of poplar than a $100 + stock.

I don't know the exact stock configurations you have but here is a Mod795 and Mod60 together. The barrels are the same size so you will only have to groove the magtube from the stock tip back to the receiver area. Not sure what it looks like inside the receiver as I do not have either one of these rifles but a PROJECT GUY can figure it out!

GB45

·
Premium Member
5,018 Posts
Hey guys -- Didn't mean to create any confusion. I was trying to illustrate the cutter, not which cut. The magazine tube groove would be up and in the barrel groove. Smaller cutter, of course. Everything else, shimming the stock to achieve a straight cut, is still the same.

GB45 -- Those pictures help. Shouldn't be a tough job.

Best regards. Wind

·
Premium Member
4,446 Posts
Wind said:
Hey guys -- Didn't mean to create any confusion. I was trying to illustrate the cutter, not which cut. The magazine tube groove would be up and in the barrel groove. Smaller cutter, of course. Everything else, shimming the stock to achieve a straight cut, is still the same.

GB45 -- Those pictures help. Shouldn't be a tough job.

Best regards. Wind
I figured as much that is why I said "MIGHT HAVE" :eek: ;D ;)

GB45

1 - 5 of 5 Posts