Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I took my 22 apart and gave it a very in depth cleaning in hopes of fixing the problem with no luck. When I fire the rifle cycles the next round correctly but when I pull the trigger again there is an audible click but no primer strike. When I charge the rifle the next round fires just fine. So I can only fire every other round. It seems like it is not cocking correctly. (Please forgive me if that isn't a correct step in the cycle of operations. I am used to an M-4) any ideas or solutions? I don't want to have to replace the trigger housing but I'm not apposed to the idea if someone knows it is a true fix.

-tree

·
Registered
823 Posts
Take some close up pictures of the workings of the lower action and post them. Then we can study them and see if anything looks out of place. Take some from the top and bottom views.
It would also help if you gave us the first two numbers of the serial number, so we can determine what the year of manufacture is. There are small differences, depending on year of manufacture.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I have a similar (perhaps) firing failure from my 50 year old Glenfield 75 (almost the same weapon to a similar aged Marlin 60 I've learned)
...not sure of your issue, but mine always fires after a manual re charge of thee handle...but only lightly strikes the primer on 3-5 of the next 8 rounds.

I am trying to get the best course of action from the more experienced Marlin Forum members who can help steer my own repair actions.

A former gunsmith said the shell chamber needed "Peening" what ever that is...to allow the next shell to fully set into the barrel prior to firing?
Does that repair make any sense to anyone...I have never heard of it before?

Aslo in regard to replacing springs...does anyone know what a complete set of replacement the appropriate firing springs runs for a Mod75/60...?

·
Registered
94 Posts
Loosen the take down screws and move the action as far forward as possible in the stock and then tighten the screws and see if this solves the problem. It sounds like the hammer is not being reset. Also check verify that the bolt is traveling rearward without hanging up. This could be caused by a bent recoil spring or guide.

Mals

·
Registered
1,269 Posts
I have had similar issues and disassembled the M60 to find the soft buffer cracked.

·
Registered
6 Posts
OK I have partially solved my Glenfield Mod 75 Failure to Fire Issues. (FTF)
Buffer is fine, and I tried the forward setting of the takedown screws...but no improvement from those two steps.
All the springs appear to be new except the return spring...but I had no failure to feed issues...so I considered that box checked as well

Here's what I did to get some improvements:
1) I reamed out the barrel casing receiver end with a small grinder to remove a small indention from some dry firing., which might have been preventing the shells to seat firmly in the chamber,
2) I Dremmel opened the pathway guide stop on the firing pin to allow a small improvement in the firing pin forward travel...about 1/16 inch.
3) Last I re-cleaned and buffed the firing pin to ensure smooth travel in the bolt.
4) Again re-oiled and reassembled for testing at the range.

I had 3 FTF's from a 50 round box of CCI Mini Mags...which was not a perfect result...but far better than the ~40% FTF from before the modifications.

Wondering if I am as far as I can get on improvements...or if someone out here has any other suggestions

·
Premium Member
11,744 Posts
I am sure there are some that can get these guns working perfect. If it is older it does not surprise me that you will get a few jams. My son's model 99 will jam every so often and it hates Remington in the green box.

·
Registered
734 Posts
So I took my 22 apart and gave it a very in depth cleaning in hopes of fixing the problem with no luck. When I fire the rifle cycles the next round correctly but when I pull the trigger again there is an audible click but no primer strike. When I charge the rifle the next round fires just fine. So I can only fire every other round. It seems like it is not cocking correctly. (Please forgive me if that isn't a correct step in the cycle of operations. I am used to an M-4) any ideas or solutions? I don't want to have to replace the trigger housing but I'm not apposed to the idea if someone knows it is a true fix.

-tree
Did you disappear?

·
Premium Member
429 Posts
Just something to consider ...the ammunition may be a factor.
I just took out a model 60 on sunday thatat I purchase at a gun show a few months back and had the same issue with some target match ammo. Switched to some remington hyper velocity as it was the only other stuff i had and it cycled as it was supposed to so...yeah, it could be that :hmmmm:

·
Registered
6 Posts
Thanks...I tried several different types of ammo previously...I've had the best luck with the CCI Mini Mag in all my 22 LR rifles, Ruger/Marlin, etc...
I may also still get a new recoil spring for the Glenfiled 75...I assume that the Marlin 60 recoil spring is the same...?

BTW totally love your avitar/photo!! :congrats:

1 - 12 of 12 Posts