Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Super Moderator
6,561 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, there was a gunshow nearby last weekend. While there, I found a few 57M's...most were in great shape but demanding a pretty steep price. I saw one, though, that was pretty well used, but looked to be a perfectly good shooter. I have bought fromthat seller before, and he is a pretty good guy. He also said in no uncertain terms that the $300 price tag was quite negotiable...as he wanted to sell it.

So...being the accommodating bloke that I am, I lent all my cash to a friend to buy a thing...thinking I could come back the following day. Unfortunately, due to a tragic accident, the show was cancelled the following day.

So...There is a show in San Antonio this weekend, which is about a 1.5 hour drive. I am about 90% sure that this seller will be at this show, as I have seen him there before. So I'm going to San Antone!!!

Not really looking for validation, but wanted to hear y'all's impression of the 57M. Seems like a really fun gun, and I am a huge fan of the 22 mag.

·
Registered
2,447 Posts
Have not personal experience with them but I love the 22 mag cartridge and if I wanted a semi 22 mag it's one of the ones I'd look for. Good luck!

·
Super Moderator
6,561 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It's not really a semiauto, but a lever action with a very short throw.

·
Banned
2,262 Posts
If you can get it for $300 or less...BUY IT!

Reactions: njcioffi

·
Premium Member
12,166 Posts
I have never shot one but have looked at them and would buy one if the time and the price was right. I have noticed that around here 22 mag is on the shelves most days so that would make owning one even better. I like them because they are a little different then anything else for the most part.

·
Registered
102 Posts
I have a 56 (magazine fed version in 22lr) which I really do like. I've been thinking that a 57 would be a nice addition to the collection. If you can buy one for $300 or less in good operating condition I would go for it. Once you've shot it some and determined that you really like it, it wouldn't be a difficult thing to refinish the wood and even have the bluing redone. My opinion is go for it. Good luck!

·
Registered
2,007 Posts
Normal price around here is $500+. They're rather rare, although made for quite a number of years, the action type wasn't a hot seller. I've seen figures of around 12K for all Levermatic models. Rimfire Central has some more info posted, like takedown instructions. Numrich has what parts there are for them. They've been out of print for about 50 years. Not the easiest gun to strip and reassemble.

Biggest problem around here is FINDING .22 Mag ammo, haven't seen any for 6 years or more. If I need that level of power, I've got .223 and .204 that I reload.

Stan S.

·
Registered
525 Posts
I'd think $300.00 would be a great price. I've got one in 22lr in the back of the safe somewhere that I got as a project gun. Guess I need to try it out. Good luck. Mark.

Ok, my bad. Mine is the clip fed model 56 and it was way in the back of the safe. Mark.

·
Registered
1,851 Posts
Two more points that come to mind:

1 The 57M can't be cleaned from the breach without using a bore snake.
2 They are a trifle heavier than one would expect from first appearance.
OK - three points
3 They're accurate enough to use for squirrel hunting.

Reactions: njcioffi

·
Premium Member
3,002 Posts
I like all the Levermatics.Though my 57M is a mite heavy for a rimfire,it is probably the most accurate 22mag I'v ever owned.And I'v had a truckload.

·
Registered
5,760 Posts
I'll take it!

·
Super Moderator
6,561 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I'll take it!
LOL. :hmmmm:

Well I went, but the guy was not there. I found one other, but the guy wanted $500 for it...decided to wait to see if I can find that seller at the next GS near Austin, and hope he's still got it.

Sine that didn't pan out, I was forced to buy this stupid near mint (refurb, Tula, 1953) Russian SKS that I've always wanted! Boohoo!

Reactions: momentum

·
Super Moderator
6,561 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thanks. It'll be a bit of a wait now.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I haven't had my 57M very long, but it's rapidly becoming a favorite. Yeah, it's a little heavier than other .22s and the trigger will never be match-grade, but it's also on my short list of guns I'll never sell or trade. Good luck with your search.

·
Super Moderator
6,561 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Thanks. I'm sure I will see that seller again at the next gunshow in Austin...just a matter of whether or not he's still got it.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts