Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I saw a marlin 57m at a gun show this weekend, they wanted $475 for it. It was in good shape, passed on it I was light on cash and unsure of design since they didn’t make these for very long. What are the cons of this model or potential problems to look out for?

·
Premium Member
4,939 Posts
Many were made pre-'68 and have no serial number to date them by. I believe the early ones had aluminum receivers instead of steel. I prefer the steel receivers myself. If it was in good shape, that's not a bad price. They seldom show up around here, and the last one I saw had a $600 sticker price. It was pretty pristine, and it was a steel model. Mine is a beater rifle moreless and it still shoots fantastic. The short throw lever takes some getting used to. Your thumb can stay in contact with the stock when chambering a new round. Pretty unique rifles in my opinion.

·
Registered
220 Posts
I saw a marlin 57m at a gun show this weekend, they wanted $475 for it. It was in good shape, passed on it I was light on cash and unsure of design since they didn’t make these for very long. What are the cons of this model or potential problems to look out for?
I would have been tempted for sure!!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.