Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hello!
i just recently purchased my first of many Marlins! the 57M, .22WMR, 24" barrel. i believe she is a 1960-62 and the serial # was added after production, because the number style is different from other sn's ive seen.... and in a different location. From what i've read, 1959 was an aluminum receiver with a rounded back (where the hammer would be). 1960 and on, the back was trimmed. ---- edit---- early 1959 models had aluminum receivers. The earliest ad I've seen with a steal reciever is September 1959. So from then on they all had steal receivers. ----- From 1959-1962 there was no Date Code on the barrel. 1959-65 was the first style of stock (1960 they added the pistol grip cap). from 1966-69 the triangular fore end was used. some time in 1968 they were required to have sn's. Production ended in 1969 with approximately 66,000 made (that could be all levermatics, i forget :)

for the 2 letter date code, decode, there is a few that have posted what the 2 letters mean in this forum.

lest see your 57's and 57M's!!!!

image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
if you click on my pictures the second time, they reload right side up... dam apple!

·
Premium Member
475 Posts
Your's is like mine, it isn't marked 57M and from my understanding that was like the first or second year of production that some didn't get marked with the M. Mine also has no barrel codes. I'm going to refinish my stock. In it's present condition it's pretty beat up and cracked so it's not going to affect the value enough to matter especially around here in redneckville but as well as this one shoots I doubt I'd let it go anyway. I sure enjoy shooting it.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yep you're right, no 57M mark. I haven't seen any pictures of the different markings for the make and model with a confirmation on year of manufacture. But I do believe you, that they didn't put the M after 57 for a couple years or so after initial production... I've read that a few times now!
Yep, ya might as well give her a make over! I'm sure I won't be selling this one.... And buying more down the road. My father had one when I was growing up, I was too small in his eyes to shoot it, but was shooting his little cooey .22. I dreamed of the day he would let me shoot his magnum as he called it... But we moved when I was ten, left the magnum behind at his friends (with some other guns) and they all got stolen in a break and enter :/

I'm happy I finally got one, they are fairly rare and pricey!

Reactions: RamCharger

·
Premium Member
475 Posts
I found this barrel on an auction sight. Didn't buy it, was just looking and noticed the -M on it.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
14,157 Posts
I have 2 57M's the first is a 1960-61 model with no serial number, and no M after the 57. The second is a 1967 model. Not sure if you seen it yet or not, but on the bottom of my post there is a link to a thread of mine. It is the catalog pages, and Parts catalog pages, for all of the Levermatics.
My M57\'s.jpg Left click to enlarge. I need to take some better picture, one of these days.

·
Registered
2,167 Posts
I always wanted one of those, and I have absolutely no use for a 22 Mag rifle. I shot one when I was a kid (a very long time ago), and that thing was death on the turtles we were shooting at, therefore, I was hooked. I also wanted the 22LR, .256 Win., and .30 Carbine versions. I haven't seen in person any Levermatic since I shot that one many, many years ago. They're scarce around here.......:(

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Schtoolee, thank you very much!! Your link proves my 57 to be a 1959 model!

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I hear ya Pete, I would like a model 62 in 30-30!

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Or sorry, I'm between 59 and 60. Mine doesn't have the 1960 pistol grip, it has the same style as 1959... But it's a steel receiver.

·
Premium Member
475 Posts
I just realized G'fish'n's doesn't have the pistol grip. The white spacer on mine was dust when I took it apart. Making new one with a white plastic trash can.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Yes, mine doesn't have the pistol grip cap, nor is there a hole from a screw... The 59 model didn't have the cap but the 60 model does have the cap, as does from 60 on.
The plastic disc from the can should do the trick for you dlallen66!

Reactions: RamCharger

·
Registered
11,599 Posts
Congrats, very nice looking rifle. Wouldn't mind having one like that myself... :biggrin:
For info, I came across this article some time ago and saved the link below, maybe you or others would like to read it if not seeing it already~

Marlin’s Levermatic Rifle Line
Malloy - Marlin Levermatic

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Dlallen66, in 1961 they started stamping them with 57-M, thought you might be curious :)

·
Registered
3,379 Posts
I always wanted one of those, and I have absolutely no use for a 22 Mag rifle. I shot one when I was a kid (a very long time ago), and that thing was death on the turtles we were shooting at, therefore, I was hooked. I also wanted the 22LR, .256 Win., and .30 Carbine versions. I haven't seen in person any Levermatic since I shot that one many, many years ago. They're scarce around here.......:(
Last time I saw, and handled a Levermatic in 256, was in a Clovis New Mexico gun shop in 1972. If I knew then what I know now, I would have snatched it up! In the same shop I bought a 30-40 Krag carbine for the princely sum of $60..........:biggrin:

1 - 18 of 18 Posts