Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had bought a model 56 several years at a gun show. When I fired it at our ranch, rounds failed to feed from the clip. The tack weld at the top back of the clip was broken. A gunsmith suggested that I try an Ithaca X-5 and X-15 10-round clip. Bad move (see below).

My wife bought me 3-to-9-power adjustable Bushnell scope but because of a year of traveling in an RV and a move to a new house, I hadn’t used it yet. I had bought the lower-height mounting rings for a .22 vs. a higher-powered rifle and I mounted the scope on the rifle this winter.

Yesterday I headed out to shoot, finally. I was amazed at the accuracy of the rifle and the usefulness of the scope. I was shooting from 150 feet with 7x power on the scope. My first few shots showed that it was sighted in pretty well as mounted. Then I got serious. It was hitting slightly high and left of the bullseye. About three clicks down and three clicks to the right as I went through a 50-round box of LR ammo, and I was ripping a hole in the bullseye. At 150 feet with a .22! Amazing!

However, the Ithaca clip was a bust. It tries to feed multiple rounds. I had to load one round per clip. So, a new clip is in order. Also, the ejector was slightly unreliable. I found this post from Budd's (http://buddsgunsmith.blogspot.com/2009/06/marlin-57-lever-action-22-mag.html):
On the extraction and then ejection part, the bolt is being thrown backwards. ... On this gun, there is enormous space or play in the linkage. There is free float of the bolt on the steel rail edges of the trigger group. Once the lever is actuated the bolt is moving backwards freely, until it stops at fully ejected. In this case, the top rails were chewed up or marred greatly, opposing the inertia energy of the backwards moving bolt. Slowing it down. Sometimes ejection, sometimes not. Taking out the gouges and then polishing the steel edges freed up the bolt the slide without interruption, every shell ejected.​

I see that my rails are a bit chewed up. Does anyone else have experience with this simple fix?

Attachments

·
Registered
334 Posts
Good shooting.

I have a Model 56 and for years just went with the original 7 round magazine. I did by a 10 rounder from Numerich, but it's the same one listed for the Ithaca X15 and X5. However, it works perfectly for me.

https://www.gunpartscorp.com/ad/195950.htm#195950A

I don't have any experience with the ejection issue, sorry there.

·
Banned
2,262 Posts
Hi JC, welcome to the Forum! Nice 56 ya got there. It is a mighty fine little rimfire for sure!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.