Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I inherited 2 model 55 goose guns.

I see on both guns that there are two holes on the left rear side of the action.

What is the funtion of the holes?

Thanks

·
Premium Member
12,160 Posts
I would guess it is for mounting some type of sight. Maybe a peep sight of some type but not sure. I assume you are talking about holes like these.

marlin goose.jpg

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yes, the two guns I have are like that one. Two holes with no threads, just holes.
Do goose hunters still shoot 36"ers barrels anymore?
Never shot one yet, should be fun.

·
Registered
7,432 Posts
Shorten the barrel, D/T the receiver and you have a dandy smooth bore slug gun.

·
Premium Member
12,160 Posts
I would just buy a slug gun before I would chop up and drill a hole gun that was passed down to me. I would like to have one to see how they would do at the community turkey shoots. I bet if you get the load right with that long barrel they could throw a tight pattern at a 25 yard turkey shoot. :biggrin:

·
Registered
2,849 Posts
Probably closer to 40 yards, there the old Goose Guns.

Reactions: Golphin

·
Super Moderator
8,054 Posts
I would bet they would shoot tight patterns to at least 40 yds or better. I have an old humpback a-5 with a 36 inch barrel and full fixed choke. It is good to about 50 yds on my turkey targets........

·
Registered
3,109 Posts
The holy grail buckshot gun around here is the Marlin Swamp Gun, same model 55 shotgun with a factory 18 inch barrel, would be tempted to chop and choke one of them.

·
Registered
1,342 Posts
AUUUUUGHHH!!!
If it's origenal, don't touch it!!!
Go get a Mossberg shorty cheap or a long barrel cheaper and just saw the danged thing off.

The Goose guns are unbelievable fun guns.... I bought 2 and have less than $100 in 'em both.
Refinished the stocks and they're like new.

Friends laughed as I backed out with one at a dove hunt...and kept backing out, and out, and out.
The long barrel assures that you will follow through on your swing.
I load 1 3/8 oz #6 shot pushed by a healthy dump of Unique...
On the level, 60 yards shots are no brainers if you're on your game, but finding birds can be a challenge.
Late morning white wings at nose bleed altitude coming in from Mexico are no issue, once you get the HUGE lead dialed in.
They take a LONG time to fall.

·
Premium Member
134 Posts
I have a 55S slug gun the two holes on mine are tapped and plugged with screws, figured they were for some sort of sight.

·
Registered
1,139 Posts
I can answer part of your question. I am an avid goose hunter...no, I have never seen anyone who hunts any waterfowl seriously use one of those.

·
Registered
3,578 Posts
1 - 12 of 12 Posts