Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey y'all,
Picked up my first Marlin this weekend. It appears to be a 1975 Goose Gun.

After a basic cleaning and inspection, I took it to the range for the first time today.

I found that it doesn't like to chamber the first shell out if the mag if it is 2 3/4, but 3" does fine. I'm also having an issue with light strikes causing FTF. When it did fire, the extractor arms didn't want to pull the fired shell.

I took it home for a more thorough cleaning, and found a lot of junk where the extractor arms seat when a round is fully chambered. I got as much out as I could with a soft pick and some cleaner.

Would like to pull the and really get in there, but I'm having a hard time finding any information online on the process.

Any tips?

·
Super Moderator
12,695 Posts
Do you mean removing the barrel from the receiver? For that you will need a barrel vise and an action wrench. I would start with a good cleaning before taking the entire gun apart.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yeah, that's exactly what I had in mind. What looked like potential scoring in the metal turned out to be a lot of trash. A little persistence and a lot of patience and it seems like I'm getting a tighter lock up now.

I'll have to hit the range after work tomorrow and see if it paid off.

In regards to the original question, is the barrel just threaded on? I understand the importance of the barrel vise and action wrench, which I wouldn't attempt it without, just curious.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.