Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Premium Member
12,567 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just received the Marlin Model 49 22 autoloader I bought. The gun is in pretty decent shape. The stock & forearm are walnut, it has the bullseye, and still has the sticker on the forearm saying to use 22 LR only. There is a little rust on the barrel, right where you would hold the gun to put the 22 ammo into the tube, but it cleaned up pretty well. If anyone has Brophy's book, turn to page 313 and it's the top gun, complete with the Marlin 300 scope. Only problem is the scope has no crosshairs which I knew when i bought it.

Now here is the kicker. Brophy's book says they were made beginning in 1968. Mine has an AC serial number which makes it a 1967 gun. I wonder if this was one of the early guns that Marlin made for the "mass merchandiser" that Brophy refers to? I know they were listed in the 1968 catalog as a new model. So the one I have is an early specimen in any case. I'll get some pictures of it once I get it cleaned up and a scope put on it. If it shoots halfway decently it was worth the $100 I paid for it.

·
Premium Member
13,618 Posts
Re: Marlin 49

That’s great Hal. I looked it up and of course the black & white picture doesn't do it justice but I do like the cut of the stock and forearm. Do you have the model 300 scope too? Man that would be great. At any rate if it shoots straight you got a deal.

Congrats.

·
Premium Member
12,567 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

1895Gunner said:
That’s great Hal. I looked it up and of course the black & white picture doesn't do it justice but I do like the cut of the stock and forearm. Do you have the model 300 scope too? Man that would be great. At any rate if it shoots straight you got a deal.

Congrats.
Yes, I do have the model 300 scope. But it doesn't have crosshairs. I think I'll just keep it for posterity.

·
Registered
1,169 Posts

Nice find and looking forward to seeing some pics after you have er all ready to go.

·
Premium Member
12,567 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Re: Marlin 49 - Pictures Added...

I cleaned it up and put on a Bushnell 4X scope. The wood is really good, the receiver has some scratches in the paint. Once I shoot the thing and figure out how to disassemble it, I'll probably redo the receiver with Brownell's Aluma-Hyde epoxy spray. Actually for a 1967 gun it's in darn good shape. I scoped the bore and it is really bright and shiny, no signs of rust or pitting.

Here are a couple pictures:

·
Registered
1,169 Posts
Re: Marlin 49 - Pictures Added...

that is one nice 49 looks like some one took very good care of it and good with it.

·
Premium Member
12,567 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The gun shoots pretty well. I didn't go to the range, but took it out behind my buddy's house and shot a target set against the hillside behind the house. I shot off a post at 35 yards, which was as far as we could shoot. I put 18 Federal bulk HP's in the tube. The first 3 shots printed a little high, and I made one scope adjustment and shot the remaining 15 shots. I was pretty pleased with how it shot. This was all we shot because he thought the neighbors would get annoyed.

I hope to get it to the range and shoot it off the bench at 25 and 50 yards.

·
Premium Member
1,129 Posts
Hal ... that is not only a nice looking rifle, but it shoots good to. Great find. Enjoy it :D

·
Premium Member
12,567 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I have always thought they are a neat looking little rifle. I wanted the 49DL, but could never find one in decent shape, or at a price I wanted to pay. This 49, although it doesn't have the checkered stock, or the scroll-work on the receiver, has a nice, clean look to it. It's just the kind of gun I like.

·
Registered
2,198 Posts
Fine looking rifle, I have a 49DL that looks about the same as yours, I am looking for a takedown manual for it so I can give it a good cleaning. Just purchased it a couple weeks ago, saw it ,and just had to have it, of course I guess I could say that about all my Marlin`s.
Ebay has an instruction and parts manual, but it is not a takedown, it is parts only. The 49DL is different then all my other autoloaders, if anyone can help me with this, I would really appreciate it, thanks, and again that is a beautiful Marlin.
farm boy

·
Registered
2,718 Posts
You sir have a eye for a nice find. Im sure you are going to enjoy this little jewel for a long time. Nice very nice. Ive been on a 22 kick lately. picked up a marlin 81 pre WW2. Looked ruff when I got her but cleaned up real nice.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hello! I'm new to the forum and just wanted to post that I picked up a Model 49 at a gun show just today. Looks exactly like yours and in the same condition. It's in jail for 10 days, but I'll give you some updates once I get it in my possession and start cleaning the internals up. Is there anything I should be aware of once I start the dis-assembly?

·
Registered
1,271 Posts
Fine looking rifle, I have a 49DL that looks about the same as yours, I am looking for a takedown manual for it so I can give it a good cleaning. Just purchased it a couple weeks ago, saw it ,and just had to have it, of course I guess I could say that about all my Marlin`s.
Ebay has an instruction and parts manual, but it is not a takedown, it is parts only. The 49DL is different then all my other autoloaders, if anyone can help me with this, I would really appreciate it, thanks, and again that is a beautiful Marlin.
farm boy
http://www.marlinowners.com/forum/r...-40-marlin-model-49-detail-picture-heavy.html

1 - 14 of 14 Posts