Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
446 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Guys, this may be one of those obvious questions. What is the difference between marlin 450 ammo and marlin 450 bushmaster ammo? Are they belted different?

Reactions: Bigsby The Bear

·
Registered
394 Posts
Lil Bear said:
Guys, this may be one of those obvious questions. What is the difference between marlin 450 ammo and marlin 450 bushmaster ammo? Are they belted different?
The main difference is the length of the cartridge I believe, that and the Bushmaster isn't belted. The bushmaster is designed specifically for the AR-15 platform to allow 'big bore' power to be used in the diminutive carbine. Suppose to be able to take anything in North America but I've communicated with one of the hosts on Modern Rifle Adventures ( a TV show specifically designed to show off the AR platform in various hunting scenarios) and when they had a chance to go to Alaska for Big Bears they didn't chose the 450 Bushmaster, they went with the 338 Federal, a cartridge based on the .308 cartridge and one which they'd already used on Nilgai in Texas and Buffalo in Colorado.

There is a custom AR-10 produced by Accuracy Systems that uses the 450 Marlin.

Power and ballistics favor the Marlin 450 which is on par with the 45-70, the Bushmaster is loaded with lighter bullets.

Hope this helps,

BMC

·
Registered
5 Posts

versus...

note the very small rim on the bushmaster and no belt at all.

·
Registered
446 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thank you. I thought there was a difference just never put them side by side.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Also the .450 Bushmaster is only .452" where our favorite .450 Marlin is .458".

·
Registered
34 Posts
Yes that does say tenderfoot over there.
I'll prove it by asking this question.
Are they interchangeable? Would I blow my hands if I put a 450 bm in a 1985M 450?

Much appreciated,

BTB

1 - 7 of 7 Posts