Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Gentlemen,

New to the Forum and looking for some insights. I have narrowed down my search for my next gun and the 45-70 LTD II fits the bill. Right caliber, pistol grip, checkering, long octagon barrel, and more. I found that this configuration was made for Davidsons in a series in 1998. As well as in 2015. The later appearing to be of nicer wood and engraved but the same configuration for both. My dilemma is in that I have been told that the quality of these guns took a dive when purchased by Remington in 2007. I would appreciate any insights into which one to buy given similar condition and money? Many thanks.

Colt

·
Premium Member
13,898 Posts
The concensus here is JM Marlins are the safe bet. Providing the rifling is still good and the bore isn't rusty/ed, I'd buy the 1998 JM Marlin 45-70 LTDIII instead of the later Remlin model.

The1998 JM Marlin will always hold it's value. Because it's THE original JM Marlin .........the Remlin not so much. However there are reports of good to dent remlins now. I wouldn't trust a 2015 model though. At all.

·
Registered
13,302 Posts
If the 1998 is in good shape, I'd opt for it over the later. Not to say that the 2015 isn't a good rifle (after you inspect it), it's just that the 1998 is, well, a JM.

I have JM Marlins and two Remington Marlins. The Remington are fine rifles and every bit as good as the original, but, they are not originals. You just have to be careful with the Remington rifles. Quality has improved greatly over their early years of producing "Marlins", and even in the early times they did produce some good ones. But Remington did have a tremendous amount of serious issues, not insignificant among them - customer support.

Would I buy another Remington Marlin if I wanted a specific model? Yes. But with a caveat; I'd want to thoroughly inspect it first.

Good luck on your purchase, whichever one you choose. Of course you'll than have to post some pictures!

And welcome to the forum! Thanks for joining us.

·
Premium Member
6,374 Posts
Hello and Welcome from Pennsylvania!!!

·
Registered
8,307 Posts
Welcome from The Republic of Texas...

·
Registered
6,654 Posts
Welcome from SW Ohio.

And Happy Thanksgiving!

Whichever one you choose, I hope you get a good one. My 1895 is a JM.

Reactions: cajun56

·
Registered
738 Posts
If I was to make a choice between the two, I'd definitely go with the JM Marlin LTD II. That JM stamping means an awful lot to me and others. I'm very leary of the Remington made guns and yes I do own one. I currently have a nib Marlin 45-70 LTD II that I've been saving for a special occasion. Haven't shot it yet, but the rifle is spot on and is beautiful.

·
Super Moderator
15,411 Posts
Welcome from an Old Soldier in Olympia, WA; in the Great Pacific Northwest - "The "Original 444 Marlin®" Country!
Hooaaahhhh!!!!!

·
Registered
14,831 Posts
Welcome to the Forum from New York

1 - 20 of 23 Posts