Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
288 Posts
Mine is pretty close to your's, 1974. Not much can be said about it, except, IT'S A MARLIN!

Which should say it all, on the up side!

On the down side, which it really isn't, for me,...nice big 400 and heavier grain lead,
are better left for the 45/70,... imho.

Now, I don't know whether your 1982 model has a micro groove barrel, or, not,..., if it does,
I highly recommend you hand load for it. I would also recommend casting your own OVERSIZED boolits for it, as well.

I prefer the middle of the road , for my 444. I like a 300 grain boolit at around 1600 FPS.
Not to fast, not to slow,... but, like the Goldilocks Rhyme,... JUST RIGHT, for me!

·
Banned
3,196 Posts
ive got a 1978 444s and never regretted getting it. I have no need for 45/70 since I have a t4 and can use the same bullets I cast for the 44 mags. I don't enjoy shoulder bruising abuse but it can ben loaded pretty stout if I had grizzlies to shoot at. Reloading for it is pretty easy and straight forward compared to some other rounds. I know when I went to public ranges it was a conversation piece too because they are not as common as a 30-30 or 30-06.
like the 1895's in 45-70 its an easy to carry, easy to aim very powerful weapon. getting brass or ammo for it is not a problem and won't break the bank if you know where to shop.

·
Super Moderator
15,155 Posts
Taken from the One Humongous Sticky above the threads:
Marlin 444 Sporter
Dates: 1972 — 1983
Serial Numbers, first two digits: 72 (1972 only) 27 descending through 17 (1973 - 1983)
Barrel Length: 22”
Barrel Rifling: Micro-Groove™, 12 lands
Barrel Twist: 1:38"
Proof Mark: "JM" on left side of the barrel
Notes:
1976: Forearm cap replaces barrel band.
1978: Honed chamber, I’m not sure of the significance of this.

·
Registered
8,446 Posts
It'll make your shoulder black, blue, and yellow.
Not much fun to shoot unless you reload and make reduced loads.
Otherwise, they are great for large and/or dangerous game at less than 150 yards.
I gave mine to a friend who hunts.
I don't anymore. Had no use for it.
That's just MHO.
Otherwise, go ahead and flame me now!

·
Registered
3,465 Posts
I had a 1971 that I sold to another member. I now have a 1995 444SS with a 16 1/2” barrel and a Big Bore Winchester in 444. If the price is right go for it. They let you know your alive but they are still fun to shoot.

Reactions: Sambane

·
Registered
7,556 Posts
Got my eye on a 444s which I know nothing about. The rifle appears to be in good condition, its a jm, and manufacturerd prior to 1982. Anyone willing to share a little information on this model would be greatly appreciated. Thanks
Reach out to Buffalo Jake here somewhere.
I'm sure he can give you some valuable input on the field performance too.
:elefant::wink::elefant:

·
Registered
45 Posts
I had a 1971 that I sold to another member. I now have a 1995 444SS with a 16 1/2” barrel and a Big Bore Winchester in 444. If the price is right go for it. They let you know your alive but they are still fun to shoot.
I also have a 444S (1977) and a Winnie Angle Eject Big Bore Black Shadow in 444 (1998 model - 1:12 twist). Funny thing is I can shoot my JM pretty much all day at the range with the "original" recoil pad and it doesn't bother my shoulder at all. The Winnie is another story - even with a slip-on added pad to the existing aftermarket limbsaver on the stock, my shoulder cries UNCLE after about 4 or 5 rounds. Needless to say, I don't spend any extra time/shots when sighting the Winchester in. Note: on the JM, I hose down the original recoil pad (the same one as when I bought the rifle new in '78) with silicone spray once or twice a year, it is a little stiffer than when it was new but still has "give" to it, enough that a box or more of my hunting 265gr reloads doesn't bother me too much at all. I attribute the increased felt recoil on the Win to a lower drop at the comb, giving the force a more direct line to my shoulder.

·
Registered
1,604 Posts
I know nothing about it,I bought the new Marlin model .444 a few months ago.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts