Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello
This is my first post to the forum, but I have been reading for a long time. I currently own a Marlin 444-s and a Marlin 30a Glenfield in 30-30.
My question today is regarding the 444. I have been having a consistent issue when chambering a round. When adding 3 rounds to the magazine, and attempting to chamber one, the lever sticks in the open position and no amount of wiggling will allow it to close. I have tried sticking a screwdriver back through the loading gate to press the other rounds back into the magazine, but it does not fix the jam. I have even tried removing the bullet that was chambered correctly and it still does not help the jam. I have tightened the Loading Gate screw and sealed with Gun Tight.
The only way for me to fix the jam is by unscrewing the lever screw. Once that screw pops out, all of the rounds in the magazine tube come popping out on there own.
When I only put one round into the magazine tube and chamber it, it works fine.
I am currently not using the Hornady Leverevolution ammunition. These bullets are handloaded and COAL has been checked and double checked.
Any and all help is greatly appreciated. Thank you
Caleb

·
Registered
1,169 Posts
go to gunsmithing under forums,look for jams.
welcome to marlinowners from nova scotia

·
Registered
345 Posts
Sounds like Marlin Jam... I know how to un-jam it, but not how to stop it. Change out springs, give the gun a tune up, then try different rounds. God Love a Marlin but they can be finnicky... Good Luck.

·
Registered
2,943 Posts
What year is your rifle?

The follower in the tube magazine changed to a concave design sometime in the last several years. Before that time, the followers had a flat face. The difference is that the concave shaped followers help to keep those pointed bullets lined up properly in the tube magazine. Without the concave follower, the pointed bullet get cockeyed and don't load and cycle right. Now, I am not sure that this is your issue, but I would check your follower. If it is, it is a cheap and easy fix.

·
Premium Member
10,898 Posts
NO, The follower is NOT the problem.

The problem is that the carrier is NOT holding back the rounds in the tube, because it sits too low.
Remove the carrier, and bend it so the front end is about .015-.020 higher.
You do this, by supporting the carrier at both ends and applying presure in the middle. Thake GOOD measurements before you do this, so you have a benchmark, and know when you've bent it .015-.020...............

Reassemble the rifle and your problem will be GONE!

Tom

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thank you Tomray. Has this been a reoccurring issue with Marlin 444-S models? If so, is this the only solution to jamming, or just the most common? If it is the later, do you know what else there is to try in case it doesn't work?
Thank you!

·
Premium Member
3,200 Posts
I had a new 444XLR that jammed up because the loading gate screw was not tight and the gate would shift a little sideways after the first round, jamming the next round. Every time I pulled the lever & bolt out to unjam it the gate would shift back in place. Took me a few times before I figured it out.:ahhhhh:

·
Premium Member
10,898 Posts
Thank you Tomray. Has this been a reoccurring issue with Marlin 444-S models? If so, is this the only solution to jamming, or just the most common? If it is the later, do you know what else there is to try in case it doesn't work?
Thank you!
CF,
What you describe is typical of the problems incurred when the carrier can't act as a cartridge cut-off..........It's only a problem when the carrier has not been fitted properly.......And the same problem can be found in any 336/1895/1894 rifle with a carrier that is not properly fitted.

Tom

·
Registered
9,157 Posts
That is what happened with my 1895 GS that I bought new just before the move of Marlin from CT. Wasn't much left hanging off the frame by the time we got it tore down enough to get the cartridge out to ship it back to be fixed. DP

1 - 9 of 9 Posts