Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 20 of 108 Posts

·
Registered
96 Posts
Hi all. I've been lurking here for years but have never posted before. I know lots of guys are always asking about how effective the 444 is for grizzly bears. I live in the Yukon where I have made my living running a fishing lodge & guiding hunters for almost 30-years now. The good old Marlin 444 is as good as anything for big bears. My son killed this bear as he was trying to get into a cabin. He was incredibly aggressive and squared over 8-feet. He was shooting a Hornady 265 grain bullet I had handloaded for him.
Terrestrial animal Wildlife Grizzly bear Plant Shetland pony

·
Administrator
30,589 Posts
Welcome to Marlin Owners. You sure know how to make an entrance!

Stop lurking and get to posting. Living where you do and doing what you do you should have no shortage of material to post. HA!

Never doubt the power of the triple four!

Jack

·
Registered
7,038 Posts
Many years ago I was berated for even suggesting that the 444 could handle large dangerous game..............and here is a fella that says that this bear was killed with a 44 cal "deer" bullet in a 444! Well, this is just one instance.......WAIT!!!!! No its not!!!!! Nail, on this very forum also killed a big Griz that came after him....with the same darn deer bullet in a 444............and, Pete Thorniley killed a big Griz that was attacking him, and, Marshall up at BTB killed a 550 pounder with a 444....and......Paco Kelly and friends took their 444's to Africa and killed all sorts of large game over there....and.....our own forum member Pat from Australia has taken big wild buffs with his 444.....and.....(get my point)!!!!! Does this mean that a 444 will kill North American LDG with a deer bullet...evidently so!!! Geeze, I can only dream of what the 444 could do with a "real" LDG bullet!!!!! Like Starrbow always says: " the 444 can do more...with less"!!! More proof for the naysayers!!!! I would hunt my 444 anywhere in the world and not feel undergunned...at all!

Congrats on a fine kill and your choice of the 444!!!:congrats:

1 - 20 of 108 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.