Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
1,872 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We’re pleased to reintroduce the Marlin 336 Lever-Action .410 Shotgun, with our own twist. In 2004, Marlin reintroduced a lever-action .410 briefly as homage to the original Model .410 built in 1929 and it was based on the more modern 1895 frame (Fun Fact: These were made in limited edition to be given away to Marlin Firearms investors as their annual dividend). This 2004 model was a big, hefty gun that shared specs with the 444. With its heavy barrel and short magazine tube, the 410 felt over weight and under fed, limiting its utility.

SURVEY QUESTION: ANYONE BE INTERESTED IN A MARLIN 32 SHOTGUN? IT'S DOABLE IF I CAN GET A REAMER. Y / N

We loved the idea of a lever-action shotgun, but wanted to improve on the Marlin 410 design so that it could be a handy piece for the ranch, the truck, the woods, or the homesteader. We also knew that there are millions of Marlin 336’s sitting around that might enjoy a new life as something other than a .30-30.

So that's where we started. In fact, the old Marlin 336 that we started with was one that we affectionately called Donkey, because it looked like it had been kicked by one - repeatedly. What you see here is the end result of our Marlin 336’s transformation to a 410 lever-action shotgun, with a light profile 20.5" Douglas barrel and a full-length mag tube for 6+1 capacity.

Full-Length Magazine Tubes (up to 8+1), Side Loading Gate
The magazine tube posed a special challenge, because Marlin has never offered a full-length tube for the 410 or the 444, which shares its unique design. Both require a bulge just forward of the receiver to allow the wide, straight cartridges to pass through the side loading gate. We built a fixture that allows us to impart this bulge to any 336 mag tube, so that we can offer full-length magazine tubes for any barrel up to 24". Yes, that means your 22" barreled 444 can now hold 7+1, and our longest 24" 410 can hold 8+1. Saucy!
Marlin 410 and 444 Full-Length Magazine Tubes
Includes the Bulge for Side Loading Gate, Your Choice of Length.​

M-Lok Panels and Threaded Barrel Options
The Ranger Point Marlin Lever-Action 410 Shotgun is a great little utility/defensive firearm, particularly for recoil sensitive shooters. Given its multi-role intent, we thought it fitting to add Magpul M-Lok panels to the forend so that a flashlight or other accessory could be attached. We also threaded the muzzle so that a brake, breacher, or (eventually) choke could be added.

Forend Stock M-LOK Panels
Ship us your forend and we'll install M-LOK panels (2)
Order online in our store​

Without further ado, here are the details:

Custom-Built: Ranger Point Marlin Lever-Action 410 Shotgun
Donor rifle: Marlin 336 originally chambered in .30-30
Basic conversion cost includes
- New 1Douglas cylindrical smooth bore barrel(18.5"-20") that's been chambered, fitted, head spaced, and dovetails cut
- Converted full-length magazine tube (18.5" to 20" length) with bulge for side loading 2.5” shells and 6+1 capacity
- Action, and ejection port modifications
- Ranger Point day front sight (with orange)
- Your Marlin 336 donor rifle will maintain its factory appearance (not like our All Weather Hunting demo gun photo)

Price: $780 + donor rifle

Available Options (call or email for quote):
* Extra long barrel (up to 24") and full-length magazine tube
* M-Lok panels in forend for accessory attachment
* Threaded muzzle
* Muzzle brakes, breachers, chokes (if there is enough demand)
* Slick action and trigger tuning (down to 3 lbs.)
* Ambi flush cup sling mounts
* Ranger Point Scope Mount Base / Sight Set for mounting a Red Dot / Holo Sights
* Ranger Point Integrated Day/Night Sight Set and Scope Mount Base
* All weather textured coating on the stocks; KG Gun Kote on the metal (one color, camo, custom)
* Butt Stock cut out for weight reduction (standard 20" model just under 7 lbs.)

As I said, the ugly-Donkey Marlin 336 donor rifle was terrible looking. So we went all out to create the All Weather Hunting rifle of "my" dreams. :)

Marlin 410 Shotgun Full Side Shells2.jpg
Ranger Point M-LOK Panel Forend Stock.jpg
Marlin 410 Shotgun Butt Stock Cutout2.jpg
Marlin 410 Shotgun barrel brake2.jpg

·
Super Moderator
11,129 Posts
That is a sweet shotgun. I love the 410 for varmints and snakes around the house.
Me too! An old rabbit eared 410 was the gun my grandfather and Uncle taught me on for squirrels, rabbit, grouse and quail.
Not to mention the occasional snake or rat.

·
Premium Member
10,837 Posts
Me too! An old rabbit eared 410 was the gun my grandfather and Uncle taught me on for squirrels, rabbit, grouse and quail.
Not to mention the occasional snake or rat.
Yep, I still have and use the old single barrel single action 410 my dad started me with hunting squirrel. I still shoots a great pattern and I have taken the head off a big Diamondback and several Cotton Mouths that wanted to share my back yard with me.

1,872 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
This one took a tree rat on its first trip to the timber property. I was happy. My Great Dane was thrilled.

1,872 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Do they handle three inch shells or only two and one half inch?
The Marlin Lever-Action platform can only go as big as 2.5" shells. The 3" shells would be too big to fit.

·
Registered
11,600 Posts
I've always thought it would be fun to have a .410 Marlin lever to play and/or hunt with myself. My Dad used to let us use a single shot he had when we were kids. Think I'd have to figure out a plug for it though to actually do any hunting with here... no more than 3 rounds allowed for that purpose. Anyway, looks neat... keep up the good work.. ^-^

·
Registered
9,559 Posts
Another project Marlin needed. They are truly a versatile platform.

·
Registered
21 Posts
To the OP (Rangerpoint):

Can you post some pics of your extended tube installed on a .444? I'm curious as to how it attaches. I've seen some where the dovetail is moved closer to the muzzle. How is yours affixed?

1,872 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
To the OP (Rangerpoint):

Can you post some pics of your extended tube installed on a .444? I'm curious as to how it attaches. I've seen some where the dovetail is moved closer to the muzzle. How is yours affixed?
I don't have a photo at the moment, but you are correct that the dovetail/tenon is moved closer to the muzzle. Our kits come with one of our profiled dovetail fillers for the empty original dovetail, but gunsmithing is required to cut the new dove. No way around it.

The tubes we're using for the kit are trimmed down 336CB tubes. Since these are no longer made by Marlin/Rem, we get them from Numrich, cut them to length, then form the bulge necessary for the T4 and 410. What that likely means is that there will be a limited supply of these kits, and when they're gone they're gone. We've looked high and low, but the steel tubing Marlin uses for its magazines is not commercially available. A special run would have to be ordered, and it's doubtful demand would be enough to pay for such a run. There's no shortage of 20" tubes, but if you want a 22", better get it while you can.

·
Super Moderator
26,346 Posts
Thanks Adam, just what I need... another toy added to my "to get list."

Besides protecting ones homestead against the ever pesky varmints, I can see a nice 336 by the door loaded with Winchester 410 Buckshot. A good CQ ammunition in a lightening fast 336 would be just the ticket.

Good job Adam. Although, I'd opt for a 336 blued and walnut. Or possibly with Gun Kote finish.

Jack

1,872 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks Jack. I expect that most folks will want to stay with a traditional look. It's hard for us, from a marketing perspective. The .410 conversion looks externally identical to a regular ol' 336 except for the enlarged ejection port, so it helps to do something different. Plus, my donor was absolutely beat to heck, so I had to do something.

I really do like the addition of the M-LOK panels though. They don't detract much from classic lines, but make it easy to throw on a light when your gun is doing camp duty or tucked away near an entry door.

The idea for this project came from a regular client of ours who has a ranch in Colorado. He wanted a good little gun for his wife to keep with her as insurance against wildcats and the like. He bought a Remlin 410 off funbroker and shipped it down. It was horrible. Took us a few hours just to get the thing to run. And I'd forgotten how heavy the originals were. His came out nice, but I like our 336 conversion a lot better. And I was pleasantly surprised at how straightforward the conversion proved to be. The thing runs really slick, and didn't take a lot of tinkering to get it there.

Reactions: dpe.ahoy and JACKTW
1 - 13 of 13 Posts