Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey fellas,

I'm gonna brag on the little lady for a minute. She bought me a 410 Marlin for my Birthday on Feb. 28th. She is a keeper for sure. I also have the vintage 410 lever gun. What a difference when you lay them side by side. Vintage is nicer gun. Workmanship, weight,balance,shotgun barrel instead of a half rifle barrel. Action is even smoother. I guess the new one might get better after it's broke in alittle bit.

SpikeMaster49 :D :) 8) :lol: :D :) 8) :lol:

·
Registered
394 Posts
I, too, have a new 410. It would be nice if the barrel was contoured like a shotgun barrel, not a 45-70 barrel. I removed the front sight ramp and installed a green HiViz bead. The rear sight was also removed and the dovetail filled with a Lyman 3/8" slot filler. When I bring the gun up, the green bead sits right on top of the dovetail filler. I replaced the mainspring with a CAS spring and installed a Wild West trigger. The sighting arrangement puts the shot where I want it and even provides acceptable service for slugs! Granted, I won't be using it for long range slug shooting, but I was very impressed with how my set-up worked.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Good to hear you got and arrangement that works for you so good. I'll have to play with this one at a later date to see what I can make her do and not do. Have fun shootin slugs. Thats what I want to try out. What are you using in her?

SpikeMaster49 :D 8) :lol: :D 8) :lol: :D 8) :lol:

·
Registered
394 Posts
All together, slugs and shot, I have about 25 rounds through it! I bought it in 2004 and took it out looking for bunnies the day after Thanksgiving the same year. We had no snow to speak of. Needless to say, Mother Nature played a cruel joke on the rabbits and turned them white! I shot 5 in about 10 minutes. By the time I finished thumbing a shell into the magazine, another bunny showed up. The last one I shot was hunkered down at the edge of the trail. The poor SOB probably thought I couldn't see him. I was so close that I backed up a few feet before I shot him. I plan on using Winchester AA loads with number 8 shot for Ruffed Grouse. I have been doing a lot of reading on the .410 and the experts lean toward the smaller shot due to the small amount in the 2-1/2" shell. I have a Spartan SxS .410 that I use 3" shells in. I like the challenge of the .410 and the 3" load gives a bit of an advantage. If I get discouraged with the .410s, I always have my drilling. I use 2-1/2" shells (16 gauge) from Gamebore in it. That gun is actually quite a bit lighter than my Spartan! Good luck.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I still have not fired the little 410 yet. I will try the 8's in her to see how I/WE do and other loads also. Thanks for the heads up on shells.

SpikeMaster49 :D :) 8) :lol: :D :) 8) :lol:

·
Registered
173 Posts
Marlin 410

I love mine. I do not plan on changing a thing to it. I think it is just perfect. I am however, not that picky.

I plan on passing it down to my son someday.

·
Banned
461 Posts
I've got 2 of them now. I've yet to be skunked out hunting whitetail deer since I bought it 3 yrs ago.

I did shoot some trap with it too. I was impressed I was actually able to break a few pigeons without a problem.

I found using Winchester's rifled slugs have been the most accurate and shot shells have been #6 shot, no particular brand (yet).

I did change my front Hi-Vis bead like some others have. I had shot a Winchester 9410 and there front bead was smaller and I like that better. The rear sight I'll play with before the hunting season gets in too far, with a similar Hi-Vis green type of sight.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts