Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Premium Member
13,677 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Since I traded an 1894P for mine several years ago I have hunted rabbit, squirrel, quail and dove. I've also shot trap with it surprising many competitors on how well a 410 can do (they didn't think I could shoot doubles with a lever action). I would be the first to agree that you have to be quick & purdy accurate to use one for game or trap however I never feel under gunned.

I reload my own shells and have really enjoyed it since this is the only shotgun I reload for. I've always enjoyed loading brass however shotshell production really peaks my interest. Reminds me of learning that skill when I was a young boy from my neighbors dad.

1895gunner

·
Registered
1,446 Posts
Sharp 410, Rossi Makes a 410 too! I want a 12ga Lever Gun!

·
Registered
1,446 Posts
Hey Neighbor, I seen one of your Threads on Gonforum, I'm a member on there too but I don't get on there as much as I use too! Once again thats a Sharp/Nice Marlin 410 you got there!

Reactions: 1895Gunner

·
Registered
1,346 Posts
95 I have always thought they were kind of cool but have always wondered what I would use it for also. I use a rifle for squirrel and rabbit so I guess it would be good for that; thanks for the question.

·
Registered
14,371 Posts
I have never owned the Marlin 410. Some years ago I was looking hard for a original, to use on deer with slugs. Never got one because of prices. Always have wondered how the new ones will shoot a slug. Have you tried any yet? The old Marlin was 2 1/2"
but the new model is 3", with Brenecke slugs might be good deer gun. A lot of guys think 410 is to small for deer, but at 40yds
will kill it just as dead as 12g.

·
Registered
1,346 Posts
I have never owned the Marlin 410. Some years ago I was looking hard for a original, to use on deer with slugs. Never got one because of prices. Always have wondered how the new ones will shoot a slug. Have you tried any yet? The old Marlin was 2 1/2"
but the new model is 3", with Brenecke slugs might be good deer gun. A lot of guys think 410 is to small for deer, but at 40yds
will kill it just as dead as 12g.
My son's first deer was killed with a .410 single shot Stevens 94C that I got for Christmas back in the day but I think the range was about 10 yards. I could have almost cut his neck with a knife.

·
Registered
8,476 Posts
I could use that for those pesky boring bees.
Beautiful gun you have there.

·
Premium Member
13,677 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Mine is chambered for 2 & 1/2" shells and yes I killed a hog with a slug out of it. One and done as they say, it dropped right in its tracks. I wouldn't hesitate to use it for deer hunting at minimal ranges.

1895gunner

·
Registered
14,371 Posts
Ideal gun for boring bees is a Dewalt screw gun, when bee goes in hole, run a screw in right behind him.!! My wife has killed several
deer with Savage 24, and a Savage pump. All shot from a stand at 0-40yds. 1 shot- 1 kill. Neighboring farmer has used old Stevens
BA 410, that he cares on tractor every day, to shoot all his deer. I saw article on 410 slug that said it was equal to a 38 special. The
breneke slug is a little hotter. My wife did a through and through on lung shot a couple times with them.

·
Registered
1,791 Posts
I got chickens, so mine is used for bad critters in the yard. Skunks, possums, ***** and dillos. Skunks at night are my specialty.
Mine is the Rossi 410 but seriously considering the Whinny 9410. It has chokes that I think would be great for longer shots.

Hayden.

·
Registered
8,266 Posts
I bought a Wards double barrelled 410 the other day with the tennite (plastic stock and forearm) . It is a real tight little gun and shoots good but I don't plan on keeping it because I feel underguned when I have a 410 but the little doubles are just so purty I can't resist them.

·
Registered
138 Posts
I've been a big fan of the .410 since the early 1980's when a kind of "down & out" type guy would stop by and ask if he could hunt thru the 50 acres of old, long abandoned grapevines on the property I was renting. Sure...why not? Over the next 3 or 4 years he hunted rabbit, pheasant, whatever. I'd count the shots while I was doing whatever...and in all the times he hunted, I only knew of ONE missed shot. Jeez, that was a pretty old gun!!!
The guys who came by with a 12 ga. usually came in pairs or groups and so many shots were fired that it was impossible to count and nobody ever took anything that I saw. If they hit whatever they were aiming at, it was probably shredded anyway.
I guess the moral of the story is: Beware the bust out looking guy in an old ragged pick-up with a really nice looking Model 42 Winny...he might know how to use it.

·
Registered
8,266 Posts
I know that the Model 42 is just a 410 like the rest of them but there is something special about the way a 42 shoots and handles. I have known men that shot geese over decoys and it seemed like everytime the little gun went pop a 12 pound goose bit the dust. I have owned four model 42's over the years but the one that I remember was the one I traded a co-worker out of back in 1980. He came in the office one day and started talkig about how he wished he owned a Ruger mini-14 and I just happened to have one. I asked him if he had anything to trade and he replied that he had a model 42 winchester pump that he had never shot. He brought it to work the next day and we made the trade with both sides being happy. The shotgun was a modified choke but most are full choked. I owned two model 42's at the time and they were full choked, I took them to my lease and nailed a hunting magazine on a tree and backed off 30 steps and shot the magazine with the full choked gun and it put quite a few pellets on target but then I shot it with the mod choked 42 and it blew it completely off the tree. The gun was brand new and super nice and I wish every day I had kept but hindshight is 20/20, back then they were going for 375 dollars for a nice one but they are way higher than that now.

·
Registered
14,371 Posts
My brothers father in law has a mint Ithaca SxS 410, bought during the depression by his dad. He has the original box and flannel
sleeve it came it. I wish the receipt was in box, owner can't recall what his dad payed for it. Was bought at local general store. When
I go over there to hunt he says, got a quarter?, have to pay to handle gun. Over 30yrs this joke has got him more money than his
Dad probaly paid for gun.

·
Registered
849 Posts
I've loaded some 215gr .410" Keith SWC's @ 1500 fps LOL They keyhole but still shoot around 4" @ 50 yards - I made those just to have a 'solid' option just in case something needed more than birdshot...I want to try some of those Brenneke 2 1/2" slugs - they look like they'd do good.
I use #8 shot and get good patterns out to 25 yards...still have yet to have my 410 XLR with me when a see a grouse.
Maybe this year ;)

·
Registered
152 Posts
I got mine for a reasonable price on layaway at the LGS. Wanted a gun that wouldn't tear up a grouse too bad and could shoot a deer close in. Shot slugs, 000, and birdshot through it. Fun and versatile gun, almost traded it for another Marlin a few weeks back. Thanks to some good folks on here I didn't. So I ordered a rock chucker kit and dies for 30-30, 35 and 30-06. When I study up and start making progress with those rounds, I'll get the dies for 308MX and 444. I heard the 444 brass could be reloaded for the 410 that might be a fun project down the road. (Nice pics of your 410!)

·
Registered
6,782 Posts
Since I traded an 1894P for mine several years ago I have hunted rabbit, squirrel, quail and dove. I've also shot trap with it surprising many competitors on how well a 410 can do (they didn't think I could shoot doubles with a lever action). I would be the first to agree that you have to be quick & purdy accurate to use one for game or trap however I never feel under gunned.

I reload my own shells and have really enjoyed it since this is the only shotgun I reload for. I've always enjoyed loading brass however shotshell production really peaks my interest. Reminds me of learning that skill when I was a young boy from my neighbors dad.

1895gunner
I remember when you made that trade I think ... because I remember thinking I would never give up my 1894P, at least not until sometime after I'm dead and gone and even then only after a fight. I gotta admit though, I've always had a soft spot for .410 and I've got boxes and boxes of hulls and components ready to be stuffed, and I've even got a 600Jr (MEC) I bought a few years ago just for .410 that I've never taken outta of the box. Plus I bought bags of wads and various shot, some buffer stuff ... bought it over-time when it was on sale from Precision, with good intentions.

Now all I need is the 1895/410 instead of all these little single shots I've acquired over the years by happenstance. I may gave to settle for a Mossberg 500 .... which would not really be "settling" per se, but it wouldn't be an 1895. I want to be able to shoot 3" - but dang that is one purdy little rifle/shotgun you have.

My Grandfather loved .410. Reloaded by hand with a drilled piece of 2x4 and a hammer and nail and the quail hated to see him coming.

How does 44 do outta yours Scott? Yours looks pristine, it really does.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts