Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking at a Marlin .410 lever action on an auction flyer. The serial # is stated as Uxxxx. Is it the same date of mfg. as for rifles....1960-61? If so that doesn't quite square with the "Blue Book" descrition of when the .410 levers were made? Also any thoughts on value? Help experts!!!

·
Premium Member
885 Posts
no, it's not the same - that code signifies production in the original period of 1929-32 (known range with the U prefix is reported to be U535 - U2174) The standard model has the grooved forearm, and the deluxe is hand checkered (~10% of total produced) I've seen sell from $500-1800 on auction, all depends on condition, area of country, and emotion of buyers out there...

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
gewehr said:
no, it's not the same - that code signifies production in the original period of 1929-32 (known range with the U prefix is reported to be U535 - U2174) The standard model has the grooved forearm, and the deluxe is hand checkered (~10% of total produced) I've seen sell from $500-1800 on auction, all depends on condition, area of country, and emotion of buyers out there...
Thank you gewehr. Your description fits nicely with what I'm able to see.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I need an original buttplate for one that I recently purchased. It also has a U prefix. Any information on where I might get one?

·
Registered
37 Posts
Did all of the old Marlin 410s have a U prefix on their serial number?
I have an old Marlin, serial number U5XX. I've never been able to learn why that U prefix was used, even from perusing Brophy's massive book on Marlin.
Any idea why the U prefix?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts