Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,586 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Had my new-to-me, previously posted on Marlin 400-A 4 X 32 MM scope out for at test at the gravel pit saturday afternoon.

Test gun was my ever reliably accurate USRAC 52-B Sporting repro. Rings were Burris signature "ZEE" rings on Weaver #46 bases front and rear. Ammo was some 5 or 6 year old bulk Federal American Eagle 40 gr RN .22 LR unplated....

The Marlin scope impressed me. I could find no hint of parallax error at 25 yds. Eye relief is about 2.75" The image is bright and clear with very little distortion. I was grouping around a half inch, from a cold clean bore, which is pretty good for a caffeinated old man with stale ammo. It did not take much to get zeroed- I guess the constant centered reticle has a lot do with it. I could easily see my bullet holes at 25 yds. My test was cut short by rain- I only got a dozen rounds off before the skies opened up. The click stops on the adjustment turrets are quite definite and tactile- almost audible. I wonder why this scope was discontinued??? Seems to be a winner in my books!

Just wondering if it was designed as a rimfire scope- there is no rubber ring around the eye-bell, and eye relief seems a trifle short for center fire use... Ideas anyone?

Regards,

Doc Sharptail

·
Registered
1,591 Posts
My GUESS is that sales were not up to expectations. I believe other companies had a more aggressive marketing plan for their scopes. They may have been able to sell them for quite a bit less, too.

A chart in the Brophy book shows the 300a as a RF scope and the 400g & 400AG as CF scopes. I don't think I would hang one on a 444 or 45-70 for a week of accuracy testing, though.

Dang, you're up late ( or is it early) again!! :wink: SW

·
Registered
1,586 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
That early/late bit is nothing new.... I dunno who made a day 24 hrs long, especially when my life requires a 32 hr day length, especially on weekends!

I vaguely re-call Clark's-Gamble's and K-mart offering a package deal on the Marlin rifle and scope package- buy a new Marlin rifle and Marlin scope at the same time, and get 10-20 dollars off the total price. Was a popular move here, at least for the 39-A, and a small 1" tube Marlin scope- it sold a lotta 39-A's.... Clark's-Gamble's had 30 or 40 of these package deals strung from the ceiling in the sporting goods section....

Regards,

Doc Sharptail

·
Registered
1,591 Posts
I can relate to the odd hours - the coal must go through!! :D

Regarding Marlin rifle/scope deals, this page from the now defunct Kleins was on another site in a discussion of Oswald & the Carcano he bought from this outfit. I can't actually see that it is a Marlin scope, though.

Oddly, a M1 carbine cost more that a Marlin in 30-30 or 35 Rem. I recall seeing M1 carbines offered in Sears & Wards catalogs during this era & wondered at the high prices of them. While the dollar figures seem small, so were wages! Seventy bucks for a Marlin in '63 represented a pretty hefty chunk of change. SW

·
Registered
1,586 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I took your image up to 150%, and the text is unreadable at that magnification. Looks like it *could* be a Marlin scope on the 336-C, especially with the slightly forward mounted turrets- *BUT* - Weaver made a few Marksman scopes that look like that too...

Regards,

Doc Sharptail

·
Registered
1,591 Posts
Doc,

I ran mine up to 300% and stood way back from the screen. It appears to say the scope is "name brand". It's pretty blurry, though & I can't be 100% sure. SW

·
Registered
1,586 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
NebrHogger said:
I can relate to the odd hours - the coal must go through!! :D

Regarding Marlin rifle/scope deals, this page from the now defunct Kleins was on another site in a discussion of Oswald & the Carcano he bought from this outfit. I can't actually see that it is a Marlin scope, though.

Oddly, a M1 carbine cost more that a Marlin in 30-30 or 35 Rem. I recall seeing M1 carbines offered in Sears & Wards catalogs during this era & wondered at the high prices of them. While the dollar figures seem small, so were wages! Seventy bucks for a Marlin in '63 represented a pretty hefty chunk of change. SW
My first job in '72 paid 48 bucks a week in a cash envelope- sounds like very little now- but compare those '72 dollars to 2005 dollars, and I'm not really that much better off at 500 a week on bi-weekly direct deposit....

Sears had the M1 carbines here too, and they were well beyond my modest means. They all had Winchester roll stamps on them- I think that may have had some bearing on the price...

Klein's- the original publisher of the Gun Digest may be gone now, but the Gun Digest lives with us yet- the '06 G.D. should be going to press soon!

A lot sure has changed over the years....

Regards,

Doc Sharptail

·
Registered
1,591 Posts
Ah - the GOOD old days!! :D Dad was foreman for a large ranch & was paid 350 a month in 63. In the service, as a lowly Cpl, I got 94 a month... whether I got shot at or not! :wink: While Colt SAAs were 125 back then, that was most of a month's wages for a lot of people in this part of the world. In HS, I had a bolt-action Marlin shotgun & I had trouble choking up the $ for a box of 20 ga. Good thing my sweetie was a cheep date!! :wink: SW

·
Premium Member
7,244 Posts
Marlin made it cheaper for buyers to buy the scope and gun as a package, often discounting them together. They also sold the scopes in the box with the gun, but not mounted, to avoid higher federal taxes on the scope and rifle.
Hey Hogger,
In 1969 I got a whopping $85 a month as Airman Basic (E1) !

1 - 9 of 9 Posts