Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
1,140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I ran across a local ad tonight and was wondering what a good buy price would be. Excellant condition and says it's been sitting in his safe for 40 years.

He's asking 575.

Gun Rifle Firearm Trigger Air gun
Technology Electronic device Electronics Audio equipment Gadget
Gun Rifle Firearm Air gun Trigger
Metal

·
Registered
116 Posts
Give me his phone number so I can call and have him hold it for you.:biggrin:
It looks VERY nice and you better grab it before it's gone.

·
Registered
1,140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Thanks guys. I did send him an email with my phone number. Have not heard back yet. :(
He didn't have a phone number listed in the ad.

Quick update. He got back to me and we agreed on a price of $550. Going to meet him tomorrow. :biggrin:

Reactions: mathewj

·
Registered
33 Posts
That is a fine rifle equal in quality to Marlins best years. The price is really a very good buy. I have thousands of rounds down mine with only a firing pin replacement after 39 years!

·
Registered
11,568 Posts
DAT is SWEEEEET!!:congrats::tee: & a VERY GOOD BUY!! Dang how do you felles find all these "GOOD MARLINS"?? In our neck of the woods if you find a real Marlin, it looks like it has been used as a boat anchor or tractor plow & still have a high price tag!

·
Registered
218 Posts
I used to shoot an octagon barrel 39 as a kid. It was a sweet gun with a smooth action. What years were these made and what's the typical value for them in good condition?

·
Registered
553 Posts
I have both one like yours with a straight stock and also the one with a pistol grip. I bought the straight stock version from a pawn shop for 400.00. Its a shooter, most of the bluing is gone on the barrel, but man is it fun to shoot! The other I bought on gunbroker last year and payed 575.00 plus shipping. It is in super nice condition like yours.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Great find! I have one and it is very well made. If you'll permit a personal opinion, Model 39 rifles with octagon barrels are at the top of the heap.

·
Registered
171 Posts
nice score:beerglass:
and the octagon barrel just add's to the cool factor

·
Registered
1,140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I picked it up today. Nice bluing and good bore with just a couple of very small handling dings in the wood. Loaded a few rounds in and ran them thru to check function. The action is like butter and the rounds fed in and out with ease. It's much, much smoother than my 1968 39A. The paint on the NRA emblem is faded. Maybe from something he had used to clean it.

A question on the serial number? The serial is kind of strange, at least to me. Its stamped (No 24***) with the * being the last three numbers on top of the tang. The inside of the receiver is stamped (24***), so the numbers match. How do you figure the build year from this? I think he said it was built in 71 or 72.

And thanks to all for convincing me to go get it and the congrats.

·
Premium Member
2,746 Posts
I think it is a 1976 date of manufacture ---- Bicentennial Anniversary year of the good ole USA!:ahhhhh:What does that emblem say (or depict)? :hmmmm:

CJ

·
Registered
818 Posts
Made in 1971, these guns were NRA Centennial Commemoratives(1871-1971). Right to bear arms is on the medallion. According to the "Blue Book" there were 6,244 of the 39A with pistol grip and 24" barrel manufactured and 3,824 of the 39M with straight grip and 20" barrel manufactured. I recently bought one of the 39M guns and after I found the ammo it liked it shot real well and is a pleasure to shoot. You got a good buy on yours.
Dave

·
Registered
1,271 Posts
I think I'd have a hard time passing up a beat up octagon Mountie for $580. You did really well on that. Still though, good idea asking these pros first. "These pros" doesn't include me of course... I want to buy them all. :p

·
Registered
1,140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 · (Edited)
I think it is a 1976 date of manufacture ---- Bicentennial Anniversary year of the good ole USA!:ahhhhh:What does that emblem say (or depict)? :hmmmm:

CJ
It has the Right To Bear Arms 1871-1971 emblem. I was curios about the serial number because it doesn't fit with normal Marlin serials for dating. I found a thread here marlin model 39m article II date - Calguns.net where another fellow inherited the same model and his serial is ( No 37***). My only guess is Marlin left off the first 2 numbers on these rifles for dating because of the dated emblem 1871-1971.

Gun Rifle Firearm Air gun Trigger
Gun Firearm Trigger Rifle Air gun
Gun Shotgun Air gun Wood Gun barrel
Gun Firearm Trigger Shotgun Starting pistol
Gun Rifle Shotgun Air gun Wood

·
Banned
473 Posts
Nice rifle, I need to find one just like it.....beautiful. Thanks for sharing it.

·
Premium Member
2,746 Posts
It has the Right To Bear Arms 1871-1971 emblem. I was curios about the serial number because it doesn't fit with normal Marlin serials for dating. I found a thread here marlin model 39m article II date - Calguns.net where another fellow inherited the same model and his serial is ( No 37***). My only guess is Marlin left off the first 2 numbers on these rifles for dating because of the dated emblem 1871-1971.

View attachment 35178 View attachment 35179 View attachment 35180 View attachment 35181 View attachment 35182
Thanks for the clarification and pics!
Not being able to see the emblem in the earlier threads, I had gone wth the No. 24-xxx info the OP had posted and did the old Marlin calculation of 100-24 = 76 (must be 1976 ?). So I assumed Bi-Centenial on the emblem. See what ya get for "assummin". :shot: :biggrin: Very nice rifle!

CJ

·
Registered
1,271 Posts
That's a great looking rifle. It's a shame what the previous owner did to the serial number though. :p

1 - 20 of 23 Posts