Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
826 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just got a phone call from a gentleman who was told by my gun shop buddy and owner that I may be interested in his like new (74 or 75?) Marlin 39M that he has for sale. He tells me that it is pristine, not even hardly wear marks from the lever being worked?Wood is pristine as well. Anyway, he is asking $600.00 for it. I do not have $600.00 right now, but I am "toying" with the idea of offering him my like new w/box Ruger 77/17 in trade. What do you all think? Good trade or bad trade?

·
Premium Member
All kinds. Enamored of their mechanisms!
11,353 Posts
Tough call. I'll say I bought my Mountie in 1978 for $135. Six or seven years later, when the 77/22 premiered I paid around $350. Glad I kept them both though. AC

·
Registered
3,109 Posts
A pristine 39M is worth as much or more than the Ruger. A pristine 39M is a rare find, where Ruger 77/17 are current production and everywhere. I would trade.

·
Registered
11,375 Posts
IMO if you can get ammo for the 39 you are good, the 17 ammo is everywhere here 22 mag is still very had to find.

·
Registered
826 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
IMO if you can get ammo for the 39 you are good, the 17 ammo is everywhere here 22 mag is still very had to find.
Funny you should mention that because the easy availability of .17HMR is why I bought the Ruger and it is a sweet rifle. Thing is, I shot a Henry Frontier model in .17HMR the other day and I really liked it. Maybe even more than the Ruger.Does that make me crazy?? With regard to .22 I am pretty good right now with .22 ammo.

·
Registered
278 Posts
I'd Deal !

1 - 7 of 7 Posts