Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
14 years ago for Christmas my father gave me a 22 rifle as my first gun. I didn't pay attention to model or year all i cared was that it would shoot and that it was mine. The next week my Grandpa stopped me by a little sporting good store where we bought a Tasco golden antler scope. I toted this rifle every time we hit the woods and have killed countless squirrels and rabbits with it. Somewhere along the way I realized it to be a Marlin 39A and until i read a few threads on here and seen some picture i never paid close attention to the gun. Well last night i looked at it and realized it was a model 39D. From what i understand this model was very limited in production. The gun is all original and has a few scuffs and dings from use. If anyone has any more information about this gun I would really appreciate y'all passing it along. I would like to say that I plan to put it in the safe and only take it to the range in hopes of preserving the condition but I can not do that. This is hands down the best shooting rifle i own and has put many a meal on the table. I plan to keep using it and to teach my son how to shoot with it.

·
Premium Member
4,917 Posts
I don't know much about the designations of the different models of the 39, but I know I like them all! Your Dad has very good taste in firearms and there's no need to preserve it. Take care of it and shoot it! Oh, and post a picture of it here for us when you can.

·
Registered
475 Posts
Big un my first rifle was also a 39d still my favorite. I have had that rifle for nearly 40 years now hard to say how many rounds have been through it. The main differences between an A and a D are the D has a shorter 20 inch barrel a smaller diameter barrel and a barrel band style forearm. They were only made for a few years (I believe 69-72).

·
Registered
434 Posts
Any 39A variant is a nice surprise. Thanks for sharing the history of yours. The first two digits of the serial will tell you the year of manufacture. The 39D was only made for a few years in the early 70s. It only varies from the 39A due to its barrel. It has a 20 inch tapered barrel and lacks a front sight hood. The hand guard is held on by a barrel band instead of an end cap. Its well liked due to its shorter barrel and lighter weight.

* Of course someone with 39d in their name would beat me to the punch. :)

·
Registered
28 Posts
Cool discovery! Mine is the first year production and the only difference not mentioned above is I think the first year of production is the only year that had the white spacer in the stock. Its one that doesnt miss many range trips!

·
Premium Member
16,818 Posts
great story and great rifle

Reactions: Michaels

·
Registered
569 Posts
Thanks for sharing, great gun!

·
Premium Member
6,669 Posts
Nice looking 39D!

·
Registered
2,319 Posts
Nice rifle! I love my '71 model 39D! Seems like it gets shot every time we go plinking or hunting! Happy shootin!

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Yes sir that is correct. Thanks everyone for the information. This is my favorite 22 it shoots any kind of ammo that I feed it. Between this and my 336 30-30 I could keep my family fed pretty well if things got bad.

·
Administrator
23,826 Posts
You could feed them well if things stay good. ;)

That is a combination that is a good complete battery in any family arsenal 30-30 and .22 the big plus is both Marlin Levers.

·
Registered
54 Posts
This model was '71& '72. '73 was same size but did not have the spacer, grip cap, brass front sight but there were less produced than the 71, 72 models which makes the 'plain' 73 model more rare....I have a 73 and would love to get my hands on one like yours, too.

·
Registered
970 Posts
1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.