Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a Marlin 39A .22 R.F. with a serial number of Bxxxx . It has 4 scope mount holes (with screws) in the left side of the BBL, near the receiver.
I have read that Sears Roebuck requested their 39A rifles to be made that way, but not until 1954. The rifle was made in 1941. I spoke with "MARLIN",
but they had no answer except to refer me to this web site. I am thanking you in advance for any helpful information as to whether the rifle is factory
correct or not.

·
Premium Member
836 Posts
Welcome to our happy group. I am not he one to answer your question but the person that can is on here and will reply shortly. Just a heads up, if you post pics now it will stop everyone else from asking and it's kind of an unwritten rule here lol. You have found the most reliable source of Marlin info in the world right here.

·
Premium Member
12,127 Posts
Put up some pictures so we can see the rifle. I have no idea for sure but I would say no way Marlin was drilling holes for scopes in 1941. And if they had it would not have been in a 22. That's just my thinking as they did not even drill 30-30's at that time. Of course I am not sure what a BBL is so what do I know anyway. Again Pictures are great. P.S. I am right about half the time but it keeps your post at the top anyway.:biggrin:

·
Administrator
23,796 Posts
You could send your rifle back to Marlin and they would drill and tap your rifle. Yours must have been sent in prior to drilling and tapping the receiver.

Read in the right side column it gives info on this. This a page out of a Mountie info book.

Attachments

·
Registered
5 Posts
I'm a newby on this forum but, saw this thread and it intrigued me. I own a pre 50's model 39A and it was barrel drilled and tapped for a side scope mount. I don't think this gun was modified as it belonged to my father and he was not the type to allow someone to modify the rifle in any way. I recall his search for a side mount bracket for this rifle many years ago. Although he found a bracket, he never found a good scope for the rifle that allowed the eye piece to extend far enough back for a good sight picture. Maybe someone could recommend a good long tube scope for this rifle as I would love to buy one and shoot the rifle more.

·
Registered
5 Posts
As an addendum to my previous post and perhaps some help for Old10x. After some online research, I've discovered that it's apparently, not unusual to own a model 39A that has a factory drilled barrel for a side scope mount. Recievers were not drilled for scope mounting on these models. It was fairly common on 39A built in the late 40's and perhaps early 50's. Hopefully, we can get a real experts input on this. The Weaver N3 side mount would be the preferred bracket for this style of scope mount. My Weaver N3 bracket is for a 7/8" scope tube. Here in lies my problem. Finding a 7/8" tube scope, without premounted rings. Recommendations for a scope would be helpful.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I know Marlin serial numbers can be a sticky subject but, since we're talking 39A's here. I thought I'd just ask and maybe someone can point me in a direction that would help me locate the manufacture date of my 39A. Serial number is: 1071 with no other designation,,,,letters etc. I believe it is a pre '50's model but, that's purely a guess on my part. I found a website that allowed me enter the number but, informed me that it's a pre 1883 model and didn't tell me much. I know the gun's not that old so that wasn't much help.

·
Administrator
23,796 Posts
I ran into the same problem with a Mountie I had with the N3 7/8th mount.

I have a nice little hobby lathe and made up a set of 3/4 ID X 7/8 OD round rings and cut them in half. Worked like a charm mounted a 3/4 scope. Made mine out of Aluminum.

Local machine shop could likely make you a set in an hour.

Then most any soft material that's 1/16th thick would do the trick if you could bend it to shape.

Sheet lead would work. How long it would last might be questionable.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts