Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an opportunity to purchase a 39a, lates 1960s model. The rear stock has a quarter size crack/ separation in the wood. Will any 39a stock wood fit it, meaning any decade era of the model 39a? I would like to replace both the front hand guard and the buttock together, do the wood matches. I can get the rifle for a good price as it sits, but not sure how easy it would be to find the wood for it and price.

·
Registered
452 Posts
I think you can easily swap both stock and forehand guard. Ebay has several stocks for about $75.00 and forehand guards for about $50.00. Check out ebay item number 372696399364 as it is both stock and forehand guard. Depending on what the "good price" is, you could end up with a very nice 39A for a good price. Good Luck!!

·
Registered
241 Posts
Yes I think the stock would fit from any 39a. If there is nothing wrong with the forend why replace it. I would just look for a stock that would match your forend.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I think you can easily swap both stock and forehand guard. Ebay has several stocks for about $75.00 and forehand guards for about $50.00. Check out ebay item number 372696399364 as it is both stock and forehand guard. Depending on what the "good price" is, you could end up with a very nice 39A for a good price. Good Luck!!
Thank you very much for the information

·
Registered
3,292 Posts
I would just ge the buttstock. Carefully and lightly sand and stain both to match. Then apply finish.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Just curious, with a .25" crack why not just fix that stock ? No pictures so I am just guessing it should be fairly easy to fix.
I should of been more clear, it's about a size of a quarter, that the wood separated, basically it chipped off

·
Registered
452 Posts
I should of been more clear, it's about a size of a quarter, that the wood separated, basically it chipped off
I thought that's what you meant, a big old chip. Depending on where the chip is, it might be repaired with a new chip/wood filler, clamps, sanding, and finishing. Could be a nice project and allows you to keep the rifle original. I see the ebay listing given a complete furniture set sold for the $75.00 asking price. Was that you who bought it??
An update and pics would be nice:itsme:

·
Registered
31 Posts
I have a 39AS with a hairline rack in the rear stock near the tang. I priced a new one at numrich …$100.00 :eek:

·
Registered
14 Posts
One of my many other hobbies is woodworking and tools. If you are up to taking on repair projects, and have the tools, here's an example of how a hand plane tote is repaired. For a gun stock it may be a bit more involved but the principle is the same. Skip to 1:22.

·
Registered
619 Posts
FYI, I have a '48 39a and a '77 39a and tried putting the '77 39a butt stock on the '48 and it wouldn't fit. So if you get one that doesn't, you might be in for some wood carving. HTH

1 - 12 of 12 Posts