Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Having a hard time seeing the factory rear sight on my Marlin 39A. What are my choices, don't want to go to a scope. Thanks Ken

·
Premium Member
5,018 Posts
Hey there SxS1 -- Welcome to Marlin Owners. I was having issues with the original factory rear sight on my Mountie. I installed a Skinner sight (the Black Gold model) and I'm so loving it now!! I'm a huge fan of peep sights and didn't want all my rifles to have tang style sights. Mount the Skinner and tune your front sight for a specific yardage and off you go... Here's a picture (one of your rifle is also required or we'll be calling you girlie-boy) of my Mountie with the Skinner sight (located in the Industry Partners section of the forum). Hope this helps. Best regards. Wind

·
Registered
144 Posts
Wind said:
And here is the whole rifle...
Wind, I have a 1894 with gold front and rear Skinner sights, and a Mountie just like yours with a regular black skinner rear sight, but am lusting for a "black gold" one. It looks great on your Mountie!

Just wondering why no white spacer between your stock and buttplate? (I know, curiosity killed the cat, but I am only a dawg...)

Marlinmounter

·
Premium Member
5,018 Posts
Hey there marlinmounter -- One came with the rifle. I took it off and saved it as I've never much cared for the "look". Kinda like white-wall tires, always had them mounted on the inside of the rims. I made the equivalent sized spacers in black plastic for my 39a to retain the same length of pull as it had with the white spacers. The Mountie works fine without them. And now back to our regular programing ...

And SxS1 -- Here is the 39a with a Marbles tang sight -- also another great solution...

Best regards. Wind

·
Registered
1,582 Posts
SXS1-

What do you mean by having a hard time seeing.... is it fuzzy? If so- other sights there will be fuzzy. Is it a bad match with the front sight? Is the notch poorly defined? These things can be fixed.

Peeps and scopes are reliable fixes. At my age- both the peep and the scope are better choices for me. I prefer a scope for hunting and a peep for fun plinking. The Skinner Peep looks real good too.

How about a Red Dot?

M

·
Premium Member
1,003 Posts
My peep is a vast improvement over the issue sights. Even an el cheapo scope is better than my eyes.........until something falls off it. For instance, my Tasco binoculars had a lens come loose a couple of weeks ago.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
In poor light I have a hard time picking up the rear sight/front sight, seems like they are all one. A sunny day open sights work good. I shoot only targets, don't hunt. Is a peep sight more accurate than open sights. My marlin 39A with open sights(on a day I can see them) will shoot from a rest 1/4" groups using CCI Std Vel. but move into a shady area,I'm lost, can see the sights.

·
Registered
320 Posts
side by side *1 said:
Having a hard time seeing the factory rear sight on my Marlin 39A. What are my choices, don't want to go to a scope. Thanks Ken
Ken,

I had the same problem with my 39A,, that I didn't have with my Henry Frontier. The Rear Sight on the Frontier is much more open.

So this is what I did to my Rear Sight:

http://www.marlinowners.com/forums/index.php/topic,78382.msg727616.html#msg727616

I can see both Sight's much better now,, and it'll do,, untilst I mount a Receiver Peep Sight. Just haven't gotten to that point yet. Maybe a William's Foolproof or a Skinner's,, just haven't decided.

But after I made this mod,, the OEM Iron's are completely useable for me,, until I mount a Peep,
Joe :)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts