Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ive always wanted to buy a Marlin 39a, and have the opportunity to buy one now and have a few quick questions. 10252633 is the serial number, which i think means it was made in 1990? Cross bolt safety was added in 83 correct? So this would have a safety? How well will is this 'newer' gun built compared to my older Marlins? Should i get this one, or keep looking for an older one?

·
Registered
1,347 Posts
The cross bolt safety was added to the 39A in 1988. It was added to the 336 in '83. I have a couple 39A rifles with the safety and they work O.K. The 1990 gave me trouble with miss fires and I finally did away with the rebound hammer. Works fine now. As far as looking for an older one I feel the older models are a plus if they can be found in nice condition and not break the bank to get one. They are more in demand and bring good money. I have not had any luck selling cross bolt 39 A's for what the older guns bring.

·
Banned
8,177 Posts
I prefer the older ones made in New Haven Conn.I do not care for the crossbolt safety.I have 1947 and 1950 39A.I love em.But,I would own a North haven one with crossbolt safety.Still a Conn made Marlin.So it's a good one.Condition and price would be the factors for me.

Reactions: Grunt69

·
Premium Member
1,742 Posts
If the price is right and the rifle feels right for you I'd say take her home!

·
Registered
2,319 Posts
I wouldn't be afraid of purchasing a 39AS at all. I have a 1993 39AS and it shoots great and the wood on most of those from that era is beautiful! There are fixes for any problems a person might have with both the older and newer rifles so I say if you like the rifle go for it. Happy shootin!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts