Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
7,734 Posts
Cabelas isn't the best place to go for used firearms. For other stuff they're pretty reasonable, but not used guns.

Reactions: Golphin

·
Registered
682 Posts
There is a 1950 something 39A at a local Pawn/Gun shop that is at $675 and then there is a 1920 or 1930 something one in the same shop for $3,500! I turned both of them down and kept looking and found a 1998 original Marlin 39A in like new condition for $400!

·
Premium Member
12,018 Posts
Is the model 39 still being produced by remington?.......................I don't know, but I don't think so................
If I'm correct, I expect prices will climb even higher for good, clean, well cared for 39's, once 22 Ammo is back on the shelves.........

Tom

Reactions: raindawg

·
Super Moderator
13,981 Posts
I have been seeing them, several in the last two weeks that were in the $500.00. I could have bought a older one that was like new condition for $450.00 last week. I would have bought that one if I had been in the market for a 22. Gander Mountain has three that are overpriced and they are all under $799. with the highest being $700. for the 100 year anniversary model or something like that and it has been there for over 6 months. They had a nice older model with the fat forestock that was $600. I beleive and they are high on used guns there as well.

·
Administrator
23,826 Posts
$799 the last three 39As I bought were less than that combined and two of them were Mounties.

·
Registered
569 Posts
I haven't seen any on the shelves in my part of NH for a couple years now. I'm told they do come in but don't last more than a day when they do. At $799 however, I think I'd have to pass, especially with .22lr being an endangered species!

·
Premium Member
1,395 Posts
Mcy

I don't consider a .22lr an endangered species at all. If you made that comment due to the current difficulty in finding .22 ammo, then so be it. But I have been finding .22 ammo at acceptable prices for several months in my area.

Picked up 1500 rounds of very good ammo at acceptable prices just in the last week. Acceptable to me is anything less than .09 cents per round for semi-premium ammo. That's not counting the Match grade ammo I have seen recently that was priced at 12 to 15 cents per round....... I passed on that.

I will admit to spending 600 on a 39A in great shape within the last week as well. Considering current stock, I could shoot all 4 of mine for several years and ensure my grandkids understand the joy of shooting sports without buying a single extra round.

Endangered species? I would think not :)

·
Premium Member
1,742 Posts
There are many factors that play in to "value" for a rifle--especially something like a 39A. I paid a premium price too not long ago. Probably was overpriced, but I really wanted a quality 39A. It'll probably be the last 22 I'll ever buy and it will be a pass down to grandsons someday. It was worth every penny I paid for it.

Remember--I confessed some time ago on MO to "Irresponsible Spender" status when it comes to cool guns.....

Reactions: Blackbarry

·
Registered
3,337 Posts
Are you by chance in Kansas City? I've seen one in the gun library for about that price the last couple times I was there and couldn't for the life of me figure out why it was that high.

·
Registered
4,368 Posts
Mcy

I don't consider a .22lr an endangered species at all. If you made that comment due to the current difficulty in finding .22 ammo, then so be it. But I have been finding .22 ammo at acceptable prices for several months in my area.

Picked up 1500 rounds of very good ammo at acceptable prices just in the last week. Acceptable to me is anything less than .09 cents per round for semi-premium ammo. That's not counting the Match grade ammo I have seen recently that was priced at 12 to 15 cents per round....... I passed on that.

I will admit to spending 600 on a 39A in great shape within the last week as well. Considering current stock, I could shoot all 4 of mine for several years and ensure my grandkids understand the joy of shooting sports without buying a single extra round.

Endangered species? I would think not :)

Yet you are from Louisiana not Northern NH. Different States get different amount of 22LR in stock.
I know the area that he lives in and there ain't much up that way.
I live further South and there is slightly more here but if you want 22LR you'd better get up
real early and hit every gun shop and Walmart every single day if you want any.

You stocked up a long time back, so did I but when I moved everything had to go.
22LR doesn't last an hour here unless they get in at least a pallet load. And even with
that they have to ration it.
My wife wants another 22 pistol, but no chance unless ammo becomes more available.

·
Registered
1,147 Posts
I believe a lot of dealers are creating this so-called shortage too by holding back inventory while giving some bull stories while jacking the prices up..........it's not all the so-called hoarders fault, they can't buy it all and if people didn't pay inflated prices the prices will drop like a rock. At times around here it's been hard to find .22's but never impossible and the prices never got out of sight, most everyone had enough at home to keep themselves happy while not having to pay those crazy prices like I've read on various net forums.

·
Registered
4,368 Posts
I know for a fact that many LGS do not put out all they have because it would be all gone
and they wouldn't have any more. So they put out a fair supply and when it's gone that
is it until the next day. They also limit how many boxes you can buy.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.