Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently picked up a 39A Mountie with an "L" prefix. This is a great little gun in about 90% shape. I have a few questions that hopefully some of you can help me with. I do know the gun was made in 1954. I have heard/read that Marlin went to Microgroove rifling in 1954. When I called Marlin they told me that if it is a Microgroove it will be stamped on the barrel which mine is not. I also heard/read that if it is a Ballard rifled Barrel that about 200 were made in 1954 before the switch to Microgroove barrels. So I would like some thoughts and input on this particular Mountie and also about Ballard vs. Microgroove barrels concerning accuracy and value to this gun. Thanks!

·
Premium Member
2,102 Posts
Great find. You want to sell it? :wink:

I don't have any experience with the ballard rifling in a rimfire but my Marlin centerfire rifle (1894 357) with ballard rifling is accurate. I have four Marlin lever actions (three microgroove and one ballard) and all are exceptionally accurate.

http://www.grovestreet.com/jsp/picview.jsp?album=71556

·
Premium Member
7,244 Posts
As much as people tout the old Ballard rifling (and it well deserves it!) in a .22 Marlin, Micro-Groove shoots just as accurately! I've only got one Marlin with M-G rifling, and 4-5 dozen with Ballard rifling, and the one I have is a 1957 39a Mountie. It's a tack driver, and every bit as accurate as any .22 with Ballard rifling.
As for value, the only early Mounties that have high premiums are the "K Mounties" which are one year earlier than your's. These guns often bring double what other Mounties bring, in like condition. Most the 39a's from early 1950's are desreable, but condition is a big factor. If they are excellent to pretty minty, they will bring a bit more than like guns of later years.

·
Registered
1,586 Posts
I have an "L" in a full length rifle that is also pre-micro-groove, or Ballard rifled. It is a tack driver, but it took a scope to realize that accuracy....

Regards,

Doc Sharptail

·
Registered
19 Posts
39A Mountie

I Have a "J" Regular 39A baught in 52, 24" barrell factory replaced in
55 with a 20" mountie micro groove barrell, Has a Williams "Foolproof"
Sight. Will shoot Dime size group.

·
Registered
1,982 Posts
I have an "E"- prefix 39A which is a tackdrivin' fool and has, of course, the Ballard rifling. You'd be hard-pressed to convince me that any MicroGroove barrel is better than this one, but I've seen enough of them to know that they're at least as good.

·
Banned
843 Posts
My mountie is a "L", too. No mention of microgroove on the barrel. With aperture sights and in good light it will shoot 5 shot quarter covered groups at 25 yds. Front sight is a little course...if it was finer I probably could improve groups a tad.

....................TM7

·
Premium Member
1,521 Posts
I just recently restocked two '54 vintage Mounties, and one was a micro-groove bbl, the other was not. As a matter of fact, the Ballard bbl was a tad heavier than the Micro-groove, so the forearms and forearm caps had to change a smidge as well.

Here's the Micro-groove gun in progress, awaiting final shaping-sanding...

Shum8

·
Registered
1,586 Posts
Shum 8-

Gimme the ph. no. of ya lumber yard!

Regards,

Doc Sharptail

·
Premium Member
1,521 Posts
Doc Sharptail said:
Gimme the ph. no. of ya lumber yard!
Believe it or not, that was a piece of walnut that's been hiding in my misc box......just happen to run across it scrounging for a forend tip block. Not bad for scrap. Just wiped the first coat of oil on it tonight - time to pass it along - did this onr for a buddy at work......he played a major part in building the duplicator, so he gets a deal now and then.....

1 - 10 of 10 Posts