Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ran across one of these in a pawn shop yesterday in great shape (90%). Born in 1966. This has the straight stock and has an old weaver steel tube scope on it. The guy would not budge off of $250-----about $270 with taxes etc. I was going to buy it if we could get it below $250 out the door but he's not dealing.
Question: is the mountie worth anymore than the regular 39A in a pistol grip? What do you think, should I go ahead and buy it anyway? It seems like a "fair" price for it but I usually do better than "fair" on most of my purchases unless it is something I just have to have. I would like this gun because I don't have a 39A but I don't know if I'd put it in the "have to have" catagory (it is inching its way there tho as I have given a lot of thought to the gun since leaving his shop).
I don't think he will come down any. I have dealt with him before and gotten some good buys but with Fall coming on and all, I just think he has a price on it and that is it.
So what do you think? JOHN

·
Registered
5,697 Posts
It's probably a fair price, even without the scope. You're right, he don't want to deal with you on this one........maybe he has too much in it.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Sounds like a fair price to me from the condition you described but it is your call. There are some that prefer the Mountie due to its lines and others that like it because it is lighter and points quicker than the longer barreled 39A. You would have to handle both models to see if either style "speaks" to you.

If you do end up getting it, and it still has the original front sight hood on it, it may be in your best interest to remove it if you intend to keep the scope on it and use the rifle in the field. You can not buy a new, original style replacement front sight hood for the older 39A or Mountie and a lot of them have gotten lost over the years. Hope some of this helps you make your decision.

Tom

·
Registered
688 Posts
Around these parts I can't find one at any price. Not on the on-line auctions either. 39As seem to go for about $325-350 when they come on the market. If I'd walked in and seen that gun I'd have walked out with it, no quibbling. :lol:

·
Registered
688 Posts
Did you get it or will you steer one of us to it? Please. :wink:

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
got it

I finally bought it---kept going in on a weekly basis and we finally settled on $240 out the door for it. It is a great little rifle, I can't find a blemish on the metal and some very light "general use" marks on the wood. The front sight hood is already gone. I took the old Weaver C4 scope off and replaced with a Leupold 2.5-7x28 rimfire. Have not had it out yet, the scope just came this week and the weather has been terrible here.
On another note what do you think of Paco Kelley's Acur'riser tool for reforming .22 bullets? Thanks for the interest. JOHN

·
Registered
688 Posts
Well, I imagine it will work well but I just haven't gotten around to buying one to try. I've used the now defunct Hanned Line SGB tool with which one can create a better example of the CCI SGB load. Even from a pistol, these are killers on rabbits and squirrels (as well as "slightly" larger critters like groundhogs).

1 - 7 of 7 Posts