Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, I am having a real tough time sorting this one out. I recently acquired this Marlin 39A ser # 25xxxxxx made in 1975. It overall appears to be in nice shape however the lever will not open the bolt more than about 1/2 an inch at the most. I took the gun apart and found a broken tip on the carrier rocker which I replaced but this did not help. I think perhaps it was broken by someone trying to force the gun open. I have looked at all the other internal parts and cannot find anything else that stands out to me. No doubt I am missing something here. I have included a couple of pictures. Like I said the lever will open partway and then it is a hard stop, and it will close all the way, but that is all the travel it will allow. I have tried it with the ejector assembly removed from the gun and it does the same thing. I have tried with the mag tube out of the gun as in the picture, same thing. I have tried it will the firing pin removed and it won't even travel this far. Thank you in advance for any help.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Has it ever cycled properly since you've owned it? If so, what was the last thing you did prior to having this issue? Can you cock the hammer easily? Try to cycle it with the hammer in the full cock position. It appears like it is hanging up at the point when the bolt first contacts the hammer. It would help if you could put up some detailed pictures of the inside of the action (both halves). Does the bolt move freely by hand when you take down the rifle? Also, change the snugness of the takedown screw and see what happens. Some of these are pretty picky when it comes to the tightness or looseness of the takedown screw. Do these tasks and post the results. We can help you.

·
Registered
58 Posts
I was gonna ask if you can pull the hammer back with it closed, but I’ve been beaten.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Has it ever cycled properly since you've owned it? No, It was like this when I got it.

If so, what was the last thing you did prior to having this issue? Not applicable.

Can you cock the hammer easily? Yes

Try to cycle it with the hammer in the full cock position. I have and it makes no difference.

It appears like it is hanging up at the point when the bolt first contacts the hammer. Perhaps, but even with the hammer back it will not travel any further.

It would help if you could put up some detailed pictures of the inside of the action (both halves). I will do that.

Does the bolt move freely by hand when you take down the rifle? No, When it is totally closed in battery it is hard to get back, but once it does come back then the ejector spring pressure pushes it out of track.

Also, change the snugness of the takedown screw and see what happens. Some of these are pretty picky when it comes to the tightness or looseness of the takedown screw. I have done this at all different levels of snugness and it makes no difference.

Do these tasks and post the results. We can help you. I am sure you can, that is why I came here and thank you very much!

·
Registered
60 Posts
Thanks for the response. I have a few suggestions for you. Please make sure the s/n that is stamped inside the receiver matches the number on the tang and see if the bolt is etched with the same s/n. Next, if this were mine I would remove the scope mount adapter, the cartridge guide, the ejector assembly, and the cartridge cutoff. With those parts removed put the bolt with firing pin back into the receiver and see if it will cycle. If it does, put one part back at a time until the problem returns and fix what’s causing the problem. My guess is there may be a screw that is fractionally too long and is protruding into the receiver hanging up the bolt. If none of these ideas helps then I would look for some rough area under or above the bolt that needs some attention. A file along with some emery paper can be used to smooth out any rough areas left from the milling process. Let us know what you find out.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thank you for the suggestions, I will try all that and let you know what I find out. Thanks again!

·
Registered
1,616 Posts
Thank you for the suggestions, I will try all that and let you know what I find out. Thanks again!
Try replacing the hammer with the stock part. Remove the hammer and try to cock it, pretty sure it will.

·
Registered
114 Posts
I have a friend who had a similar problem. I believe he said he had to back off on the screw that holds the lever in place. You might give that a try. If it's already loose, you could try tightening it. Best of luck with it.

·
Registered
803 Posts
I dug out my Golden 39A to see if I could see what might be going on. I was able to replicate the jamming if I loosened the take down screw 1 turn and wiggled the right half of the receiver until it was ever so slightly loose. I discovered that the cause of the jam was that the channel that the bolt slides through would become misaligned, and the back edge of the bolt would hit the transition point where the left side meets the right side, just in front of the hammer. I have enclosed a picture of the problem area. Maybe this is what you are experiencing.

Reactions: Golphin

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Try replacing the hammer with the stock part. Remove the hammer and try to cock it, pretty sure it will.
I'm not sure what you mean Bob, that is the stock hammer in the gun. Also someone asked if it was the orginal bolt with matching numbers and it is the original bolt as well.

·
Registered
58 Posts
I dug out my Golden 39A to see if I could see what might be going on. I was able to replicate the jamming if I loosened the take down screw 1 turn and wiggled the right half of the receiver until it was ever so slightly loose. I discovered that the cause of the jam was that the channel that the bolt slides through would become misaligned, and the back edge of the bolt would hit the transition point where the left side meets the right side, just in front of the hammer. I have enclosed a picture of the problem area. Maybe this is what you are experiencing.

View attachment 820868
See, and mine is just opposite of that. I take mine to tight, then loosen it a 1/4 turn. If I snug it down firmly, it binds up. Probably pinching the bolt between the opposite bottom corner.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
60 Posts
Did you have an opportunity to do any of the suggestions from a couple days ago? Just wondering what you found and if you got your rifle operating. Thanks for your time.

·
Registered
1,005 Posts
When you cock the lever back it engages with a little spur on the bottom of the firing pin. Take the firing pin out of the bolt and see if anything is bent or broken.
Looking at the photos that little spur does seem a little rounded off and the lever may be running into it instead of sitting in front of it.

·
Registered
1,005 Posts
This should be squarer and it's rounded off which could be allowing the lever to lock-up on it instead of pushing it back.
Inkedmarlin bolt_LI.jpg

·
Registered
668 Posts
On your post #5 it looks like the inside of the top of the receiver is almost polished and seems to be some scuff marks to the rear of the ejector group.
May be indications that the PO had problems and was trying to sort them out too.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Well finally got this puppy whooped, seemed the problem was in the carrier rocker and spring after all. Anyway a little polish, and trying the spring both ways and I think we are fine. Thanks to everyone for all the advice and hats off to chp357 who was especially helpful. Could not have done it with you, Thanks again! D

·
Registered
438 Posts
Been waiting for an update.....glad it's working as intended.....This is the best place for help!!

1 - 20 of 21 Posts