Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,174 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 1955 Model 39A has a white buttplate spacer, but it doesn't fit the stock or buttplate. It's too small so it doesn't fit correctly. Was there even supposed to be a spacer on this rifle, or did someone just add this one themselves? I like the spacers but if its too small to fit properly, it would look better without it.

Ron

·
Registered
2,199 Posts
Ron,
My 39A also has the white butt plate spacer, sometimes they shrink and no longer fit and look good. I also like the white spacers on my Marlins. If you go online to US Plastic Corp, you can purchase 1/16 HDPE [high density polyethylene] in white and make your own. I have replaced several of mine, some were too small, and some just would not clean up good enough to suit me.

Hearl

·
Registered
1,174 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you kindly! That's exactly what I'll do!

Ron

·
Registered
2,718 Posts
You can make these spacers out of other things as well. White 5 gal. bucket plastic does well. Ive also heard of folks useing white trash can lids. dont let the wife catch you though.

·
Registered
1,167 Posts
I had the same problem with my '63 Mountie, I cut one out of an old white plastic trash can. DO NOT EVEN THINK ABOUT USING TUPPERWARE, IT WILL NOT END WELL!

·
Registered
1,174 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hmm..... I've got a white five gallon bucket with the lid. I could trace the outline of the buttplate and just cut it out. Hey, if it looks ok then I'm a happy camper!

Ron

·
Registered
11,600 Posts
They often shrink or discolor with age, and as you have already been told above there is a couple things you can do, and also some posts in here with pics showing how to do it as well. I've even seen some people choose different colors other than white when replacing one too. Good luck to you.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts