Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a very nice Marlin 39 that was brought into my store to sell on consignment. The question I have is about diminished value due to being drilled for a scope and the family name (prominent family in the Ohio area) was etched into the bottom of the receiver. The case color is perfect and without carry wear. the bluing is original and except for a few "safe scratches" is very good and the stock has very minor dents. I would say the rifle is at least 80% other than the 2 issues I mentioned. I have researched the latest Blue Book but don't know realistically how much the drilling and the etching would distract from the value.
Thx
Profire50

·
Super Moderator
16,651 Posts
Welcome from Olympia, WA; in the Great Pacific Northwest - "The "Original 444 Marlin®" Country!

·
Registered
1,367 Posts
If the drilling is out on the barrel, not too much of a deduction, if any. In fact, Marlin did it as a factory option before going to drilling and tapping the receiver, plus it was also a commonly done mod. On older guns, some buyers even prefer having it. The etching, though, is another story. Depends, though, on how deep the etching is and how obvious.

·
Premium Member
9,844 Posts
Welcome from Goldthwaite, TX! Thanks for joining us! John

·
Registered
8,306 Posts
Welcome from The Republic of Texas...

·
Registered
434 Posts
I have a very nice Marlin 39 that was brought into my store to sell on consignment. The question I have is about diminished value due to being drilled for a scope and the family name (prominent family in the Ohio area) was etched into the bottom of the receiver. The case color is perfect and without carry wear. the bluing is original and except for a few "safe scratches" is very good and the stock has very minor dents. I would say the rifle is at least 80% other than the 2 issues I mentioned. I have researched the latest Blue Book but don't know realistically how much the drilling and the etching would distract from the value.
Thx
Profire50
Welcome. In response to your question, where is the rifle drilled and tapped? In the barrel, or receiver? If the name in the bottom can't be removed without major metal work, it is pretty much destined to stay. These two things really deduct from the price much more than the condition. Two 39's recently sold on GB for $800 and $840, with no major problems. I wouldn't think yours is worth half that, at least not to me. As a shooter I am sure it is fine, but not a collector, which to me that is what a 39 is. You might get more out of it if you part it out??? Let us know how it goes

·
Registered
1,940 Posts
Hello from Kentucky.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.