Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,
Never posted here, but I have a continuing love for Marlins. I have 2 39s and a 39A (1947).
Interested in how to identify an older bolt that should not be used for hi-velocity ammo, compared with the "newer" bolts introduced in the 1930s with the Model 39s that had the HS in front of their serial number.
Here are some photos of my 3 guns, with the respective bolts they had when acquired.
Since they are 75-100 years old, I don't know if they are all original bolts to these guns.
The last 3 digits of the serial numbers can be seen on the frame fitting tabs.

Top gun - Marlin 39 - # 7252 - note the solid extractor (there is a star on the inside left of the top tang - not shown)
Middle gun - Marlin 39 - # S6434 - star on upper tang
Bottom gun - Marlin 39A - # D7295 -

All these bolts are slightly different, and they will NOT just interchange into the 3 different guns, even with some gentle pressure.

I assume the bolt in the 39A (295) is okay for high-velocity ammo. What about the other 2 bolts? Have either or both of them been changed out? I know the mainspring on the 7252 gun was replaced at some point, with a spring from a Colt 1877 (as identified by Wisener's) - I need to get a mainspring for it.

Thanks for any help.
Wood Metal Auto part Automotive exterior Font
Tool Wood Gun barrel Air gun Gun accessory

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
One other question I had about the serial numbers of the older Marlin 39s. When they started adding the S at the beginning of the serial numbers, did they start over with the numbers, or just continue from the pre-S numbers? I think I know, but just wanted to be sure. My older 39s are s/n 7252 and S6434. Because the S was added in 1926 with the newer design of the retractable ejector, I assume the 7252 is older than the S6434. Correct?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
That's a good question!
My oldest Model 39 has the small c in front of serial # making it a 1946 model. Lets hope somebody here can answer your question.
Your 39 must be a 39A then, after they started using the letter designations to indicate years. It seems I read where the small "c" was for the newer blued metal guns, preceded by the capital C guns, which were the leftover Model 39 guns with case-hardened receivers.
Here's a link to a very good short article on Model 39 history:

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Here's a pic of the difference between the bolts. View attachment 885720
I have seen that photo numerous times, and it is not really very helpful. Can you point out in MY photos which one(s) might be the safe ones for Hi-Vel, or not safe for Hi-Velocity? I would love better photos showing explicitly the newer bolts compared with the older more brittle bolts. Thanks.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
The middle one of your bottom picture is the weak one, the huge flycut is what causes the weak spot.

Sent from my SM-A505U using Tapatalk
Thank you! I thought so.
One other question if you might know the answer. In the top photo, with guns in the same order each photo, note the extractors. The middle one, being the "weak one", has the same extractor as the one below, being two pieces with a little piece of spring steel. The top extractor is one piece of spring steel. Do you have any idea which extractor is the newer or more important, the "better" extractor of the two designs?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts