Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 20 of 55 Posts

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello- I'm looking at a marlin 375 with a serial # that starts with 24. Is that possible? Did marlin use a different serial # range for these rifles? I haven't seen the rifle in person, it's on gunbroker. The only thing I could come up with is it's a 1976 30/30 bored out. Thanks for your help.

·
Registered
9,156 Posts
Maybe a re-barreled action? DP

·
Super Moderator
17,057 Posts
I sent the seller a message through GunBrokers.com, informing him that the rifle could not have been made in 1976 and to please double check the serial number, also ask for what is exactly stamped on the barrel. We shall see what he says and report back. Mr fixit

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for the help. I wasn't sure if marlin used a different serial/date system for them. I asked him the same questions and he confirmed the serial number and says it was not rebored, but is a factory stamped 375. It seems to be a fair price for a factory correct rifle, but not for a rebarrelled action.

·
Registered
265 Posts
I have a Marlin 375 Win. that I bought new, way back when. It's serial number is: #200xxxxx.
Hope this helps.

·
Premium Member
879 Posts
clem - you have a first year production .375, made in 1980. (subtract the leading 2 digits of your serial number from 100 to reach year of production: 100 - 20 = 80; 1980)
the gunbroker posting, if the seller insists on the serial number being correct, is a rebarreled model 336, as it has the correct .375 barrel rollmark stampings. It is very unlikely the trigger plate was swapped. The .375 was NOT available in 1976, but gunpartscorp had original extra barrels from Marlin for sale for a long time... the only other possibility iI can think of is an early factory prototype that got out? don't know how these were serialized however - Tomray could maybe help?

·
Super Moderator
17,057 Posts
I got a response from the seller on this rifle. This is it:

See attached photos. I can't explain the serial number either. I double checked and called Marlin myself. Just like you said, 1976 is the serial number. I have attached a photo of the serial number and of the barrel marking. I cannot imagine Marlin re-barreling an older gun with a 375 barrel. I am not sure what to make of this. Let me know if you have any other questions or want any other photos.

Thank you,

Richard

The photos of the roll mark and seial number

I'm thinking it also has been rebarreled. Mr fixit

·
Premium Member
2,031 Posts
This brings up the old question....Is this 1976 336 safe to shoot with a cartridge that develops 52,000cup? This rifle probably started life as a .30-30win.

·
Registered
2,168 Posts
"It is possible that it could be a prototype but unlikely. Anyway without documentation to prove it is a prototype it is just a re-barreled 336".

Not a prototype; that barrel is roll-stamped with the same markings used on standard production M375's. I've seen pictures (and have a saved copy in my dead computer) of the barrel markings on the Jim Carmichael 375 Marlin, and those guns are hand stamped as I recall; but Carmichael's gun was a prototype, and one of several 375's sent to gun rag writers of the day for field testing and favorable press.

"This brings up the old question....Is this 1976 336 safe to shoot with a cartridge that develops 52,000cup? This rifle probably started life as a .30-30win".

This gun has to fit one of two scenarios; it is an early frame that has been either factory, or aftermarket re-barreled with an M375 barrel; or, it is an older 1976 serial numbered frame that got "lost" in the bottom of the parts bin and not made into a gun until 1980. I suspect the former and not later scenario, as Numrich sold excess M375 barrels until the supply was exhausted; but as to shooting this gun, if the modification was professionally done there should be no problems as M336 Marlins in 30/30 are regularly re-chamber to 375 Win. It sure would be nice to see pics of the entire gun in order to compare features of this gun with regular production M375's.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Well, to muddy the waters a little further... I have a Marlin 375 I bought in early 1980, NIB from a gunshop, box and papers long gone, but box and papers matched, serial number 22xxxxxx. If you're correct about the serial number and year math, mine's from 1978. Either 1980 isn't the first year of production, or ????

·
Super Moderator
17,057 Posts
This is interesting, Not trying to upset anyone but the facts as we have them from Lt. Col. William S. Brophy. USAR.RET. who wrote the book, A History of the Guns and the Company That Made Them, commonly known as Brophys book on Marlins (for quick reference) shows 1980. Mr fixit
Here's the page right out of the book: If you can't read it, hold down the Ctrl button and scroll with your mouse.

·
Registered
2,168 Posts
"Go back to my first post on page one, link there with 3 pics, the gun sold for $475.00 Mr fixit"

In checking the photos I can't tell for sure about the rubber butt pad; but if the stock has the old style Marlin rubber pad, I would say this gun is an original M375 as all other features of the gun are correct. 1980 was the first year Marlin used that rubber pad in regular production, and all M375's had that rubber pad. Given the serial number of this gun, and the other example noted herein, pre-date 1980; my theory is that here are two examples of early serial numbered frames finished into a gun and shipped at a later date. I've studied the surviving serial number records of LC Smith shotguns (and this company was purchased and run by Marlin for 5 years); and the truth is that very few guns are finished and shipped in numerical order. I have also experienced this fact first hand with Marlin rifles come to think of it, as my the serial number of my 450MR predated it's catalog announcement by two years.

As to Brophy's M375 book reference, which I can't read, my period catalog collection shows that the 375 Marlin continued to be cataloged up thru 1986; long past the 1983 end of production noted in the Brophy book. However, from 1984-1986, the 375 Marlin was cataloged as a model 336CS offered in 375 Win. Although I've seen a fair number of 336 Marlins re-chambered to 375 Win, I've never seen an original 336CS with a factory roll-stamped caliber marking of 375 Winchester; that is either a rare bird, or another gun that was cataloged by Marlin and never released.

1 - 20 of 55 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.