Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What is the approx "as-cast" diameter form the Subject mold, when using straight, wheel-weights? I might soon be acquiring the Subject rifle and want to reload as economically as possible. My intended use would be "plinking" loads at 1500 fps, or less. I am hopeful that I would be able to just cast, lube and load but realize that probably won't happen as simply as that. I have no loaded ammunition, in this caliber, at this time and would probably just reload from the start, due to the exhorbitant cost of factory loads.....Any thoughts, pointers and general, help are greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance,

John

·
Premium Member
2,102 Posts
Mine casts .381"+

Lee makes some easy to use push through sizers that fit in your reloading press. They make custom sizes too. I only use mine to seat gas checks but most of my rifles/pistols shoot bullets as cast just fine.

I think PJ might have some 375 loads. That being said it is hard to go wrong with Unique.

·
Premium Member
1,245 Posts
+1 on what WetDog says! Most Marlins will shoot oversized cast bullets well but have problems with undersized cast. No I have not reloaded for my M375 yet since I am creating empty brass! LOL But it ain't gonna be long before that will have to happen. You gonna like that M375....a real hunting rifle/caliber.

T-o-m

·
Premium Member
7,648 Posts

Hi John,

My 375 likes bullets sized to .377 best and 1500 fps is about the optimum velocity for plinking and hunting. Velocities of around 1500 fps with a hard cast heavy (265 gr.) bullet will penetrate much deeper than the same bullet at 1800 fps. Go figure. A 300 Winchester Mag will penetrate about 8 or 9 gallon milk jugs filled with water. That with a 180 gr. bullet but Wind and Wetdog have shot water filled milk jugs with a 38-55 with 240 gr. cast bullets and a velocity of only 1375 fps. How many did it penetrate? 19 that's nineteen, so the 38-55 out penetrates the 300 WM? Yes.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts