Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone know how many Model 36's were made and the dates? I know the 336 came after but was curious when and how many 36's were made. I have a 36RC, made in 1947, that is currently a wall hanger because of some mistreated parts. The previous owner used a big screwdriver the remove a stuck round and broke the rear of the carrier. Somehow the gun also mangaed to "peen" an indentation into the face of the locking bolt. I was given the gun so I am not out any money for a non-shooter. Marlin was their normal cheerful selves when I called last spring.

·
Registered
579 Posts
Bolt on Auction Arms

There is a bolt on Auction Arms for a 36. I just sold a 36 action with 24" barrel with no wood. Would've made a great donor. There is always Numrich or Ebay.moodyholler

·
Registered
394 Posts
Model 36s were marketed from 1937 through 1941 and 1945 to 1948. Brophy does not list any production figures.

Reactions: dubhhawk

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thank you

Thank you for the info on Model 36 production. Who is this Brophy you referred to in your reply to my request?

·
Registered
394 Posts
Lieutenant Colonel William Brophy, USAR (Retired). He was the resident historian for Marlin until his passing. My brother and I obtained factory letters for our L.C. Smiths, free of charge, from Col. Brophy. He wrote 2 magnificent volumes, one on Marlins and the other on L.C. Smiths. I believe he also wrote another book on the Garand or '03 Springfield.

·
Premium Member
7,243 Posts
What's the prefix letter on your 36? Some of the parts you're looking for will interchange with 336 models, if your 36 is a later gun.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The prefix letter on the serial number is a D. It is hard to tell for sure as the factory ground off the top part of it and the top off the serial numbers when they ground the top tang. The part that is left looks like the bottom of a D. It would also fit with the time the gun was originally bought, 1947-48.

·
Registered
6,671 Posts
On the letter prefixes for the Model 1936/36 rifles it went:

No Letter Prefix-1936 to 1940
B-1941
C-1945 (late year, some with mixed 1936 and 36 parts)
c-1946 (lower case)
D-1947

Note that production of the Model 336 didn't start until midyear of 1948 (E-Prefix). I've always wondered if there weren't a few E-prefixed Model 36s out there. I haven't heard of any though.

Willy

·
Premium Member
7,243 Posts
nighteagle,
The letters weren't ground off. The surface of the tang is too rounded for the flat letter stamps, and so they are always missing part of the letters near the top or bottom of the stamp. Same thing happened with round barrels, vs. octagon barrels. The octagons always had good rollstamps, but the round barrels seemed to look like they were poorly stamped, or refinished, because of the round surface.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts