Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Found a Marlin 36 in 30/30, has the carbine length barrel and magazine tube, strange looking forend - fat and then is much thinner the last two inches or so (never seen a 36 like this one like this up close, on the web yes), plain (very plain) pistol grip stock (no checkering), has a Weaver scope with post reticle and the square bolt. Very nice condition. Has some strange looking swivel mounts, flat, large two screw mounts, about 1 1/2" long on the buttstock and forend.

I can't read completely read the markings on the barrel the band covers some it, but it says 36 and the rest is covered on the model marking.
This is what it looks like - http://www.marlinowners.com/forums/index.php/topic,92282.0.html - (just read this one). Not much on the web regarding model 36's.

The action is smooth, but it seems to hang up on the hammer extension, something inside the bolt seems to catch when you cycle it off and on.

I think it is a 36 C, but looking for any information on the square bolt 36 models with the odd looking forend.

Thanks for the info.

·
Super Moderator
15,833 Posts
The top one in the right hand pic is a Model 36 ( case-colored) 2nd is a Model 36A (case-colored) and the 3rd one is a Model 36SC Sporting Carbine (blued receiver). These are from Brophys' book. You can hold down the Ctrl button and the+= button or scroll wheel to enlarge the pic and print. Mr fixit

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Mr. Fixit - thank you. It is the Carbine, blued not case-colored. As with a lot of the Marlins there were variants.

·
Premium Member
12,567 Posts
That's the way the forearms were made back then.

·
Premium Member
2,537 Posts
Look under the lever, the serial number should be on the lower receiver arm. C = 1946, D = 1947, the barrel band covering some of the model identification is common. Should be a nice firearm, with ballard rifling. Shenandoah

·
Premium Member
1,050 Posts
Shenandoah said:
Look under the lever, the serial number should be on the lower receiver arm. C = 1946, D = 1947, the barrel band covering some of the model identification is common. Should be a nice firearm, with ballard rifling. Shenandoah
Shenandoah is close but the serial numbers will be: No prefix: 1936-1940 (will have Model 1936 on upper tang and is refered to as Model 1936 only for 1936 all others are model 36's.), B = 1941 ( can have Model 1936 on Tang, also last year of Case-coloring, refered to as Model 36), C = 1945 (Rare...late 1945 production mostly ADL's with very few others), c = 1946, D = 1947. Just a note that many of the "c" prefixes look a little funky or off. Roll stamps from the post WWII guns also vary widely for the first few years.

Hope this helped.

Edit: I fix the errors on my original post. sorry about that.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Mikem2,
That's funny , you used my photo. If it looks like mine ,it is a 36 RC. The barrel band on mine also covers some of the barrel markings.
I too am looking for more info on the model 36. Hard to find. I have Brophy's book on order but it is not in yet.
Most of my knowledge of the 36 came from doing a search on this site. Thanks everyone who has replied to me.
Andy

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Andy
I was researching the Model 36, your rifle is it! Thanks.

This one is a C - 1946

- Weaver scope, post reticle and flip mount.

- a large forend sling mount (slightly misaligned)

I will go over it closely, but there is little wear/tear on the finish or internals. The stock has some character dings. Based on the wear, I think they are more from storage than use.

Thanks for the info!

Mike

·
Registered
86 Posts
Nice looking rifle. Hope yours shoots as well as mine. I think it is kinda neat to have a .30/30 rifle that is a little different than what you "normally" see...
Andy

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Yeah, it's a light weight rifle that should point well. I cleaned it up, looks new inside, no wear marks on the butt plate, the internals look new. The stock has some character dings.

The swivel mount on the forend was added, the screws are through the forend into the mag tube slightly (found that out the hard way - lesson learned - when you see something that does not look right on a gun, check it out closer). The mag tube did not have a lot of gunk in it, the barrel was fairly clean for the age of this gun.

Need to try it out with the weaver flip mount/base. Scope is low to the barrel with this mount.

Need to get to the range for testing session!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts