Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am in need of a butt plate for a Marlin Model 36 RC Serial C, Not sure if its upper case C or lower case c. Any help in pointing me in a direction would help a lot. =) Also since this is a oddboll i am having a hard time finding a value on it. She is a bit rough but still in working order.

·
Super Moderator
3,009 Posts
It has been my experience, numerous times, that finding a used plastic buttplate to fit a used stock and having the "fit" acceptable is a long shot at best. For a good fit you most likely will end up sanding it with the butt to get everything acceptable. Sometimes you get lucky and will find an original plate that is still proud of the wood so you can fit it properly. Often though it will be shy on one spot, above on another etc etc. I've had far better luck using repro plates, which are made oversize (usually) and fitting them to the stock, especially if you have an old finish you want to maintain. Google gungrips.com or nc ordnance (same place now). They make decent quality repro buttplates, pistol grips etc. For the buttplate, best thing is to block sand the butt end of the stock lightly as well as the backside of the buttplate itself so they will fit together nice and tight. Screw it on tight, then take a pin point sharp pencil and mark the stock line all around onto the buttplate. Remove and block sand down to that line making sure you follow the correct angle, like on the toe. Test fit on and off as needed, otherwise for best results sand it attached to/with the stock, but then you will need to refinish the stock and the forearm so they match.

·
Registered
3,385 Posts
Welcome from SW Arkansas. Nice gun. We don't see the old 36's around here very often.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I looked up the N.C. Ordanance Inc site. I dont see a butt plate for a model 36. And the 336 does not look right. Does anyone know if the the 36 plate matches another model?

·
Super Moderator
3,009 Posts
I looked up the N.C. Ordanance Inc site. I dont see a butt plate for a model 36. And the 336 does not look right. Does anyone know if the the 36 plate matches another model?
The 336 plate will work for size, but the design is not the same as the 36. The 36 plate was plain on the top and bottom with lines through the middle. The one listed for the 39A (B342B) is the correct style but not sure if that size will be too small. The dimensions are listed, check those against your stock. IIRC they used to have the correct M36 buttlate listed. If the 39A one is to small give them a call and see if they can get a bigger one.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
The 336 plate will work for size, but the design is not the same as the 36. The 36 plate was plain on the top and bottom with lines through the middle. The one listed for the 39A (B342B) is the correct style but not sure if that size will be too small. The dimensions are listed, check those against your stock. IIRC they used to have the correct M36 buttlate listed. If the 39A one is to small give them a call and see if they can get a bigger one.
So im guessing if i go with the 336 plate i would have to grind to fit the edges? Would having a more correct plate effect the value? even tho neither would be an original?

·
Registered
1,311 Posts
I have a 336 RC ( Rifle Carbine) mine has the forfend cap and a full length tube with a ramp front sight,the original fore stock is a fish belly type,and the rear stock has a pistol grip wth a cap and white spacer and a hard rubber black buttplate with Marlin and a white spacer and sling swivels,I think a 22" bbl
recent revelation RC stands for Regular Carbine .
SC is Sporting Carbine sorry fo the misinformation

·
Registered
38 Posts
Also since this is a oddboll i am having a hard time finding a value on it. She is a bit rough but still in working order.
Looks like anywhere from $200-$1200or $1400 depending on what you have. If it’s rough then probably much closer to $200 or less depending on the buyer. Pawn shop probably $50, collector, maybe more depending on level of work required to restore. http://www.firearmspriceguide.com/guns/search/lever action/120

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.