Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking for help with sighting in 357 24" brl. First time with this rifle. Shooting high and to the right at 50yds; nearly spot on at 25 yds.

At 50yds with open sights, if I aim at the bottom left hand corner of the target, which is about 12" from the centre (bullseye), the shot lands about 1"to right of the centre, just below. So the rifle is firing approx 12"high and to the right.

At 25 yds. Things improve. I can almost get a centre shot. Still tends to shoot off to the right, some five or six inches. I can get a 2.5inch group at 25yds, depending on how steady I can holdthe gun.

I used 125grn UMC - these worked best compared to Winchester 158grn.
I could hardly place a shot on paper with the 158grn.

Question: Do I bother fiddling with open sights or buy a scope? Would tang sights improve things. I thought 12"high to the right with open sights was a but unusual. Any ideas ? Thanks.

·
Administrator
23,798 Posts
Consider the distance from the top of the front sight to the center of the bore should be your zero at 25yds.
IE, you should be setting your sights to shoot roughly 7/8" low at 25yds.

·
Premium Member
12,094 Posts
You need to drift your rear sight in the direction you want to move the group. Same with elevation, if your hitting high you need to lower it. If its all the way down you need a taller front or shorter rear. Changing out the front is a more common fix.
You didn't say but if the guns new Marlin might send you a front free if you call them.

·
Banned
843 Posts
move the rear sight in the direction you want the bullet to impact on the target...
move the front sight in the opposite direction you want the bullet to impact on the target.......

...................TM7

1 - 4 of 4 Posts