Marlin Firearms Forum banner

Marlin .35 rem

3K views 26 replies 15 participants last post by  The Heartbreak Kid 
#1 ·
I was going to wait and then I got thinking and figured that If I could find a new .35 rem for sale that I would buy it,I have a .35 rem already that I have set up with a scope and it has been my #1 whitetail rifle since 2008.

I wanted to setup a rifle with a skinner peep sight and front sight,maybe the express skinner setup and did not want to change any of my others I own so I sent out a few emails and got a return this morning,I am sending a deposit on a .35 rem today and should have it all paid off here shortly.This gun will be my winter project,this is a 40th birthday present to myself as the .35 rem is my favorite caliber.

I do plan on using this for hunting and will be putting some custom leather,skinner sights and I will be shooting rem corelokts in 200 gr as far as I know unless they do not shoot well,which I hardly doubt.

My collection will now be complete,I was not planning on adding three to it in this short of time but I can't complain.The only other marlin I would consider adding is a .35 rem in the stainless xlr.I will be on the lookout for that gun up here,It will give me something to look for at the "garage sale" gun shows,if that is what they call them up here.

See less See more
#7 ·
I never heard back today,I may have to wait until the new year,gives me a project for the winter time.I am in no hurry for this project as I am just starting to hunt daily,with a bow until Nov 4th and then rifle for two weeks.I did some checking into the skinner sights and If they sell this one .35 rem they have in stock,I may go ahead and conform my original one with skinner sights with the express sight so I can add the scope if I want.I hope to hear back this week either way.

Once I get full,I may not eat again for a decade,I bought the few I was interested in,I don't see much else to add other than the stainless in .35 rem and I doubt I will ever find it up here, and the .450 Marlin which I will add either this winter or by next fall, if the price is right.I will not over spend for a gun I am just going to hunt with,I am not a collector per say,they are all hunting rifles.

#10 ·
I found out that the lgs I deal with has this gun in stock now.I am so tempted but torn between another .35 rem or a .444......I am not going to beat around the bush,the .35 rem is my favorite caliber but I don't have a .444. I would use either for moose,deer and bear.I am tempted on the .35 rem,skinner sights and custom leather setup.

#12 ·
I said that 6 Marlins ago !

Reactions: miket156
#22 ·
I do not consider a Marlin collection complete without a 38-55. Set up like you mention with peep sights and other "stuff" it makes a great open sight rifle. 250+ grain bullets with lots of whallop. :flute: Just thought I would throw that out for further consideration.

DEP

#24 ·
I have jm's that were built worse than any new Marlin,though I did get a lemon my .444 last fall.I have been more than happy with the ones I have bought,and sold to others other than that dud. As for the.38-55,I am not interested in that caliber but I do think it would be a edition to somebody's collection that is into them.

The crooks up here sell beat up old relics for more than new guns.They must think they are made of gold,you see the same crooks at every "garage sale" gun show with the exact same guns as the prior year with the same old price tag on them which is 500 more than they are worth....new.

I prefer to buy new guns,I don't trust anybody,ever.

#25 ·
I’ve sold a lot of new JM Marlins between 76 and 91. I did see fit & finish start to suffer about the time of introduction of safety. I have never seen any JM put together as bad as those from Remington. Now I’m just one gut in backwoods Poduck village. I have seen at least 25 extremely bad Marlins since Rem took over. I got this just in last few years since Ohio got rifle deer season. All were 95s and 94s except for two 336s both 30/30s. I would guess from my contact with owners that this represents close to 50% of guns.

#27 ·
No doubt that they went through a period of putting out guns that have had issues.I would not ever say they haven't.I personally only seen 1 that was not worth buying.I find the older jm models overpriced when they sell "used" up here as they are beat up relics and the garage sale dealers think they are worth more than a new rifle because they have a jm stamped on them,even though they look like they were dragged down a dirt road and hit every piece of metal climbing a stand for 30 years. I want to buy quality,no matter what the name on barrel,new or even used. The prices of the used garbage up here is astonishing. My fathers old boss,he is dead now went and paid 800 dollars for a old beat up .30-30 to deer hunt with about 6 years ago.You can buy a new .336 for 600-700 at the time but he was in his 70's and thought they were like 1000 dollars without ever checking.That gun was a pos. But it had jm stamped on it.

#26 ·
There is no doubt they had issues after the sale a dozen years ago.There is no doubt that everything is overblown on online forums.There is no doubt that the marlins with jm stamped on them had lemons as well. .30-30 I own that looks like a blind man put it together.It still kills.I am glad that I only purchase or keep a rifle that is up to par for me,not because of what is stamped on a barrel.The quality control seems to waiver back and forth.Maybe they shouldn't hire meth heads to put them together?..or is it that the younger generation is incompetent at anything that isn't texting on a phone or voting libtard and crying about everything because It hurts their feelers.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.