Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a Marlin 336y that I bought in the year 2013. From doing some googling searching for a solution, I read that the stock on the older models are different and shorter wood stock with a bigger rubber buttpad than the most recent ones manufactured today.

What the stock on my current rifle looks like (not my picture):
Spikehorn_005.jpg

What the stocks on the older models looked like:
336Y.jpg

I had read on a thread that the stock is a bit shorter, and was hoping I could pick one of those stocks up instead and replace it to give it a shorter shoulder length, but the only place that used to sell them is Midway and it is now discontinued. Can anyone confirm if the stock is shorter or give me a measurement from the beginning of where the wood on the buttpad is to the receiver, that I can compare to my own to see if it's true about the older ones being shorter? And does anyone know where I could find/purchase one of these older stocks?

·
Registered
5,448 Posts
No, but you can make any length shorter than now with a miter saw (properly set up). Tape the cut lines to prevent splintering. Sand the pad to fit the results. Not a DIY kind of guy, have it done.

·
Registered
1,450 Posts
I swapped with a MO board member this year on my new 336y laminate for his older birch ......fit fine.....seems same size to me though I didn't measure.....

20140623_174504.jpg

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I thought about the whole saw thing, but I'm conflicted as to how I would end up finding/installing a right size buttpad. Is there a website that sells buttstocks based on measurements? How would I go upon making sure the buttstock I buy will be a perfect even fit with the stock after it's modified?

·
Registered
1,450 Posts
I thought about the whole saw thing, but I'm conflicted as to how I would end up finding/installing a right size buttpad. Is there a website that sells buttstocks based on measurements? How would I go upon making sure the buttstock I buy will be a perfect even fit with the stock after it's modified?
In my research....I did not see any 'Y' size buttstock/forearm's available.....both of them are different size from the standard size 336...I had to trade with someone who had a 'Y' rifle.....you then asked about buttpad or recoil pad.....you can always buy a butt pad and have it 'honed' to fit by a gunsmith.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts