Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have two Marlin 336's. A 336y and a 336w. While shouldering the 336y, I noticed the dovetail iron sights on the barrel seemed crooked, a bit slanted to the right. After further inspection and comparing the two, I noticed the print on the barrels were positioned different. On the 336y with crooked sights, the print is a bit lower on the barrel, almost below the wood stock. On the 336w, the one with no problems, there is a little bit of spacing between the wood stock and the print on the barrel. Before this, I took the 336y apart for cleaning, even removing the magazine tube. I included some pictures to see if I can get an opinion from those who own a 336y to see if this is normal or if this means either my barrel is crooked or magazine tube is misaligned or my iron sights.

Marlin 336w:
IMG_4635.JPG

Marlin 336y (no spacing from woodstock to barrel print):
IMG_4636.JPG

·
Registered
1,715 Posts
That's a shame.
Is the bottom picture a Remington made gun also?
I just bought a Remington 870 Express 20 ga. for dove hunting and took it to the range to pattern it and it works great other the the action was a little stiff which most gun now a days are but I made quick work of that with my dremel buffing wheel ..... why can't Remington make there Marlins like there Remingtons??

·
Registered
41 Posts
You may have two problem rifles from Remlin. Iv'e heard of these problems with them when they first came out. Call Remington.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
Both rifles were bought in 2013. I didn't register the 336y for warranty. It's been over a year or two, most of those warranty documents say to turn it in within the first 10 days. Will this be a problem? And what do you mean I have two problem rifles? I'm just trying to find out if the lettering should be really close to the stock itself or have that little space in between like on my 336w. I believe it might just be the iron sights, because I've posted on here about them before and have been told it was a common quality control issue at the factory. Do you think they would take both rifles and have a look at them and how long can I expect for them to be gone while they fix them? And would it matter if I have taken them apart before to clean them, beyond lever removal?

·
Registered
89 Posts
I think the marlin made model 336Y is the one with the canted sights! Well I guess that proves that a Remlin is better made than an original marlin! As to the OP's question....no, I've not seen this before on any Marlin or Remlin I own. I'd still call them up and inquire.....what have you got to loose?

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Marlin doesn't have an email though right? It would be a bit hard for me to explain to them what my problem is without pictures. My Marlin 336W had problems with the stock sights being crooked too. They shipped me some new sights under warranty for it, but never got around to installing them since I slapped a scope on it for the time being while they arrived from the mail. I don't believe my 336y had this problem, until I took it apart to clean it and put it back, but I am not completely sure. that's why I'm asking if anyone has had this happen to them with their 336y and if the lettering being so close to the stock is normal or if it should be spaced like on my 336w.

·
Registered
89 Posts
The alignment of lettering to the stock isn't a precise indication of anything so you have to go with what your eyes tell you and ultimately by how well the rifle shoots. Have you tried shooting them?
I'm quite sure Marlin does have an email address, although I guess the first step is to call them up and discuss the issue. They'll tell you what options you have.

·
Registered
691 Posts
I've tried to wrap my head around the thought processes of those that buy Remlins. I've not came up with anything rational yet.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I've tried to wrap my head around the thought processes of those that buy Remlins. I've not came up with anything rational yet.
They are the only lever actions gun dealers around my area have for sale, and any private sellers that own and are selling used pre-remington 336's think their guns are worth MSRP price + $400 because they added a rail and a 4x32 tasco scope to it. At this point, I would rather have a used lever pre-remington lever action, but these have sentimental value to them now and there's no turning back other than to fix them up and learn how to repair my own lever actions on the cheap to the way they should of been so I won't have anymore problems in the future.

·
Registered
828 Posts
Call the customer service number on the website. You may be on hold a while, say 45 minutes, but put your phone on speaker while the music plays and go about your day listening for the live person. You can explain it to them well enough over the phone for them to issue an SRA # and email you packaging and return info. I wouldn't worry about the 10 day warranty return. The fine print says failure to register your rifle will not waive warranty service. It's all for their marketing data. The serial # of your rifle proves its within the five-year warranty. Don't ask me how I know this. Good luck.

-Keith

·
Registered
3 Posts
I just had this exact same problem. I had to ship it to them and they put a new barrel on it. My sight were crooked. I have not got it back. Been a month.

·
Administrator
23,800 Posts
If it's just the back sight, put a skinner peep on it and get it done. If they are both offset, it's the bbl and you have to get it replaced.

It should not be made that way.

·
Registered
1,441 Posts
Was that an opener or what!!!!!

Well..........for $375.....I found a new 2013 built Remlin y that operates well, shoots accurately and has a NEW barrel.....I've already exceeded 400 rounds at the range having a hoot!
20140719_194512.jpg 20140915_153344 (2).jpg

·
Registered
691 Posts
Was that an opener or what!!!!!

Well..........for $375.....I found a new 2013 built Remlin y that operates well, shoots accurately and has a NEW barrel.....I've already exceeded 400 rounds at the range having a hoot!
View attachment 121781 View attachment 121782

We all have our priorities. For me its a "JM" stamped on the barrel. I can't comment on yours I just don't understand it. If you're happy I'm happy for you. Mine is 98%, it did not need a new barrel, shoots straight, wood fit is perfect, sights are on straight. I gave $325 for it a year ago. During my search my priorities were 1, JM on the barrel and 2, condition. Caliber or model were not important to me. I looked at literally dozens of rifles until I found it. I'm proud of it.

·
Registered
1,441 Posts
.........as you said.....you yourelf had to review 'dozens' of rifles that you rejected (JM stamped) until you found a keeper. Well, I imagine, some of that same effort should be put on any mass produced rifle, including current vintage. I wonder, if I was shopping for a JM back 20 years ago.......how many QC issues and sorting the stock in front of me I would have performed to find my 'keeper.' The only reason we all glorify the JM era is because of the black eye of QC Remington created when transitioning Marlin....a terrible job.....and releasing many substandard rifles. However......I believe we have moved on from that currently to improved QC as witnessed by a number of online accounts of improvements. As I look into the future, I see good sales of current and future 336 products to the hunters, and good rotation of 336 JM to the collectors and those that appreciate that era.

·
Registered
691 Posts
.........as you said.....you yourelf had to review 'dozens' of rifles that you rejected (JM stamped) until you found a keeper. Well, I imagine, some of that same effort should be put on any mass produced rifle, including current vintage. I wonder, if I was shopping for a JM back 20 years ago.......how many QC issues and sorting the stock in front of me I would have performed to find my 'keeper.' The only reason we all glorify the JM era is because of the black eye of QC Remington created when transitioning Marlin....a terrible job.....and releasing many substandard rifles. However......I believe we have moved on from that currently to improved QC as witnessed by a number of online accounts of improvements. As I look into the future, I see good sales of current and future 336 products to the hunters, and good rotation of 336 JM to the collectors and those that appreciate that era.
I've owned Marlins most of my hunting life. That life is almost gone from me at age 74. I was not aware of Remington buying out Marlin until I came here to MO a year ago. I wanted to replace Marlin 336s I'd owned in the past. Reading the QC issues Remington was having I quickly disregarded Remlins. Every deer I ever killed was with a 336... not the same one but 336s nonetheless. I probably won't kill another deer. I bought it for the memories of hunts gone by and those hunting friends (most passed) who carried Marlins. "JM" was important to me for those reasons. As it leans against the post on my front porch hoping a deer does not show itself I remember many deer seasons long passed and the comradery associated with it.

BTW I see deer every day, one today, 7 yesterday, they come and go at will where I live here in the Mo Ozarks.

Reactions: PWB and quiet22

·
Registered
1,441 Posts
I can understand that....sounds like the best memories......and sounds like you live in a super location!!!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts