Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know this have probably been brought up atleast a hundred times but I was wondering if anyone could give me the manufacture date and whether this is a good 336 to buy. Gander mountain has one for sale and I asked for the serial number and it starts with MR 125XXD. The stamp has REP which I know is Remington but I thought Remington bought Marlin in 2010. I cant find a straight answer completely but from doing the 100 minus method it says the gun was manufactured in 1988. Can anyone help me out on this. The attendant also said he has 2 or 3 more in the back but I didn't get the serial numbers on them.

Thanks

·
Contributing Member
11,599 Posts
You can't date them using Remington's S/N any more. To do that, you need the two-letter stamp on the side of the barrel and then you can look it up.

Remington took control of Marlin in 2008 and moved production to Ilion in 2010. A gun with an MR S/N and a REP stamp was made sometime after the move.

As to it's quality, well...

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
What 2 letter stamp would be on the side of the barrel. I thought they stopped doing that in 1972. I heard that the newer models were getting better in quality and people are much happier with them. Is there a list of letters to show the dates for the newer ones after the move. The dealer said he has 3 available in that model and I wanted to check the dates on them to know if they are the newer models. I want to either get one of the newest models I can or one that is actually a marlin (which I figured would be harder to find) manufactured firearm.

·
Premium Member
3,343 Posts
Remington had a group of letters for the date code that went from 1921 to 1972. The group of letters change a bit after 72 but all Remingtons could be dated by the barrel code until it stopped sometime in 1999 and then it resumed again sometime in 2001. I know some of the early MR serial number guns can be dated using the latest Remington barrel code but I believe dating the last most recent years is impossible. Calling Remington is going to be the only way to get the dates of the most recent made MR guns.

Personally, you couldn't give me a Marlin with a MR serial number, and I wouldn't buy a Remington made anything after 1999. So, dating my Remingtons and Marlins is quite easy.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
So I decided not to get that particular rifle and went with one that is stamped with no letters and starts with 91xxxx. They gave me a nice 3rd scope, mount and rings with it as well as bore sighting it.

·
Super Moderator
26,090 Posts
That is a rifle made in 2009 and should be of better quality. I had a 2009 336W but traded it and another Marlin rifle away for a Model 1894 44 Mag. My 2009 model was a very good rifle that put some deer down for me. I am sure yours will be a great shooter too.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
So I re checks and the serial number starts with 96xxxx not 91xxxx as I thought. Is this still good? It has a gold trigger and is barely stamped north haven I believe. And that was 3-9 scope not be the 3rd

·
Super Moderator
26,090 Posts
Yeah--the 96XXXX serial number indicates your rifle was made in 2004. That is well before the sale and takeover of Marlin. You have a Marlin made by Marlin. Congrats!

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Perfect. I was hoping for that. I probably sound like a pre teen but this is my first lever action rifle and I have wanted one for years. The wife finally gave me the ok for it as a birthday gift. So now she can't put me 8 the doghouse for buying another gun cause it was her idea.

·
Super Moderator
26,090 Posts
You will love your new Marlin--its perfect to hunt with in thick timber and brush. With that bigger objective lens scope--try to mount it low as possible. You want to get a good check to stock weld on the butt stock directly in line with the scope. A low positioned scope makes it very easy to obtain a good sight picture through your scope very quickly. Here is how I have a Bushnell Banner 3-9X40mm scope mounted on my Model 336A in 35 Rem:

Gun Rifle Air gun Benchrest shooting Shooting sport

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
That's exactly the same setup I picked up. Short rings and rail mount. This is the same scope I picked up. Im not quite positive if it was a 3-9x42 or 3-9X52 but im leaning to the 42 side. Also, Thanks for the help, I certainly appreciate it very much.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.