Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
419 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone, I've been off the site for awhile now as my computer is down, soooo I decieded to use my phone to log on...... duh.....why didn't I think of this sooner? ;D anyhow a couple of friends of mine go over to do a little shooting at my place in the country. I took with me my ruger 9mm, a .22 rifle and my trusted 336w along with two boxes of shells for each, except for the .22 which I took a 500rd fun pack for that... Lol. So back to the story, we were shooting into a trash pit that was dug out years ago and has all kinds of discarded trash to shoot at ranging from pots and pans to soup and coffee cans well we shot through those pretty quickly and before we ran out of shooting light I wanted to really test my shooting skills. I managed to find an old beer bottle among the other bullet ridden trash/targets and paced off about 45-50yrds and lined up my sights on the bottle and squeezed off a round, at the shot the bottle rolled off of the old stool in which it had rested on. When I walked up to look at it I noticed the top half of the long neck bottle had been shot off leaving the bottom half of the bottle to be shot at, so I placed the bottle back on the stool and backed up to where I had BAN ME before and attempted to shoot the bottom half of the now half bottle....Haha. again I re-aligned the sights on the remainder of the bottle and again took a breath, relaxed,took aim and squeezed off a round into the bottle shattering what was left of it and sending fragments and pieces of glass back into the trash pit,not bad for the old 30-30, I guess that's why it is my most trusted and favorite rifle I have and always grab when going Target shooting or just kicking around in the woods.....thanks for ready, just wanted to share my little shooting story with you...... ;D ;D ;D

·
Registered
1 Posts
336W lemon.....

recently bought the 336 w package (marlin scope, sling etc, $500.00) and after 300 rounds can't get a decent group at 100 yds. I've tried 150 gr remingtons occasionaly a good group, 160 gr hornady- terrible, looks like buckshot, 170 federals groups once in a while. i'd settle for a consistant 3-4" group. I have a 1895ss in 45/70 and a 336 in 35 rem that are tack drivers in comparison (2-3" @100 yds). I'm thinking this rifle's a waste of precious ammo. does anyone have any thoughts on getting this thing to shoot before I send it back to marlin. I've tried everything I can think of, 3 shots and wait till barrel cools, scrubbing barrel between sessions, no cleaning, light cleaning nothing helps. I even swapped the marlin scope for a burris 3x9. I'd appreciate any imput.... thanks

·
Registered
3,379 Posts
Ya gotta love the Marlin's accuracy! Congrats! :congrats:

·
Registered
990 Posts
recently bought the 336 w package (marlin scope, sling etc, $500.00) and after 300 rounds can't get a decent group at 100 yds. I've tried 150 gr remingtons occasionaly a good group, 160 gr hornady- terrible, looks like buckshot, 170 federals groups once in a while. i'd settle for a consistant 3-4" group. I have a 1895ss in 45/70 and a 336 in 35 rem that are tack drivers in comparison (2-3" @100 yds). I'm thinking this rifle's a waste of precious ammo. does anyone have any thoughts on getting this thing to shoot before I send it back to marlin. I've tried everything I can think of, 3 shots and wait till barrel cools, scrubbing barrel between sessions, no cleaning, light cleaning nothing helps. I even swapped the marlin scope for a burris 3x9. I'd appreciate any imput.... thanks
What do the groups look like at 50 yds? Not meaning any offense but have you had someone else try it and if so how did it work for them? Not much to go, so I am just trying to eliminate a couple variables, if it's bad at 50 yds, then its bad, maybe loose scope mounts? Hows the barrel crown? Sending it back is always an option, I have heard customer service is pretty experienced.

·
Registered
990 Posts
Good shooting and nice to see you are back on the forum.

·
Registered
5,699 Posts
If it's a brand new one, I'd blame the trigger first. It's likely your trigger is not horrible, but that it's just gritty enough to pull your sights off target a hair. Better cheek weld, better trigger control and breaking in the tigger through use should get you shooting bullseyes soon.

·
Registered
5,326 Posts
012.JPG Here's my 2006 Marlin 336W I won on a gun club raffle ticket. Had a RAMLINE synthetic stock set installed and glass bedded. It wears a BSA 2.5x20mm Deerhunter scope. I have elbow and shoulder issues so had to lighten the weight as the factory Birch stock was just too heavy for me. To tell you this 30-30 shoots great would be an understatement. It also shot great with the original Birch stock on it. For deer season this year I'm going to put a Simmons Pro-Diamond 1.5x5x20mm that I had on it when it wore the Birch stock. The trigger pull is a crisp no creep 5#. I am really fond of this rifle and have very little money invested in it.
358 Win

1 - 8 of 8 Posts