Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
477 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Am strongly considering buying this gun in the next month or two.My question is for those who have it how accurate is your rifle-does the barrel heat up a lot after only a few shots or can you get a few more rounds down it before it gets to hot-has any one bought one of the Remington made ones and did you have any problems with it since you bought it.I sure like my Marlins but wont buy one that has to be sent backwhen its brand new.Just dont have the money to play games with a fairly expensive purchase that should be right.What ever I buy will be new thats for sure.I shoot a Marlin 45-70 guide gun in stainless and really like it but since neck surgery thats out the question.I have even been looking at a BLR Browning in 243 as I had one before in 308 and it was a tack driver maybe the most accurate rifle I ever owned even out shooting my Model 700 Remington.Like I said I want to buy the Marlin and it will be done in person but you dont know till you shoot it some what lays ahead and just dont want to have to send it back for repair when new.Thanks alot for any help from anyone! Mike

·
Registered
978 Posts
Mines an '09 that was built in Conn.. I like to use cast bullets and plink with mine and yes it does warm up when I do this. It seems to be fine though when I slow things down and look through the spotting scope between shots. The point of impact changes with various ammo, but the groups are decent with any ammo that I've tried. If you're worried about the quality of the newer guns, you should just check it out carefully before buying it. If the fit and finish are good, and it cycles smooth then chances are that it will be fine.

·
Premium Member
5,222 Posts
I bought a 30-06 BLR and then a 336SS in consecutive years. (2001 and 2002). I've killed at least a dozen deer with my 336SS and probably just he one with my BLR. I've also killed my second biggest deer wtih my 336SS. I killed my biggest with a 336 from a 1972 336. Its reasonably accurate with my handloads, though not a tack driver, but surely enough to do the job at up to 250 yards, and a bit more with the Leverevolution. There is nothing wrong with the BLR, but for my intention, that gun has too much power. I like the easy going 30-30 round because it adds not only to the hunt, but challenges me to get closer. I've never felt undergunned even with our 200 and even 300# plus deer here. I like swinging it and hitting animals on the run. I've shot a couple of hogs with it and like the fact its weather proof a bit more than the average gun. I bought my son a 2008 (nearly new) 308MXLR just last month and it was picked up by the UPS man yesterday. Its headed back to New York to have its barrel refitted. I'm not overly hot, as we have plenty of guns to shoot, and as long as it comes back by mid-Summer, everything should be Kosher. I doubt you would be able to shoot repeatedly either gun without them heating up quite a bit. I shoot the 30-30 for fun and find with my own loads its able to do just about anything. My son, a die hard bolt gun enthusiast recently went hog hunting with me and shot his first 2 pigs with a 243. It worked fine, but he has gravitated to the 30-30 and 308MX. I have one that works fine... (and 45-70 etc. etc. lol) I doubt he'll be going back to that 243 cartridge. He likes the cast shooting we do and likes the downloads. He is all fired up about shooting the downloaded cast in the 45-70 as well. I'd get it in a minute. I also just got a GBL that was made in the dreaded 2009 era. Its a Conn. gun and extremely accurate. More so than the 336SS, although that I am sure is just the individual gun.

Checking out my son's 308MXLR did no good. I had a straight edge and unfortunately false history form the previous owner who owned it one season. I'm not miffed, and have dealt with this situation before. I've had a 35 (made in the 50's) and my 1895 (made in 2002) that have had the same problem. I've dealt with them successfully.

·
Registered
978 Posts
BTW, I also had neck surgery 3 months ago, 3 disks replaced and fused c4 thru c7. I recently bought a Lead Sled Solo to help with the recoil. There's no recoil with the 30-30 and the 30-06 feels like a .223. The Lead Sled Solo was designed to allow you to work the lever with no interference. It even has enough clearance for AR-15's with high capacity magazines. Probably the best $80 that you'll ever spend if you have neck problems.

http://www.battenfeldtechnologies.com/caldwell/catalog.asp?product=lead-sled-solo

·
Registered
238 Posts
I bought a 2009 Connecticut-made 336 SS a few months ago, and have really been pleased with it. I haven't had a chance to do any hunting with it yet, but I've been out to the range pretty regularly since the end of February and I'm pretty happy with how it shoots on paper targets. With the factory iron sights and shooting from a rest, the gun can consistently put 3 shots in a 3 inch circle. From what I have read on this forum, that seems like pretty decent accuracy, but there are 336s that can do much better. My SS seems to prefer 150 grain bullets, and particularly Remington CLs and Winchester Hollow Points for some reason.

·
Registered
477 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks guys for the information on the 336SS.Also after reading many reviews on ammunition it seems the Leverevolution has turned a lot of levers in extremely accurate guns.Looked at lots of ammo today at at my sports shop and the Leverevolution is really nice looking ammo.They even had the new monoflex there I think in 140 grain and lots of 160.I am a accuracy nut and it means a lot to me.My Marlin guide gun in 45-70 is a tack driver with the Super X 300 grain JHP but I am probably going to sell it to finance my new gun.Centaur I am also fused with 3 discs replaced from C3 to C6.Its been 6 months and everything looks great and it has fused but I hurt all the time and have to take pain medicine a lot.Hopefully go back to work next week but its going to be tough.I am a weightlifter for the past 40 years and am slowly getting back into it but this is the worst I have ever hurt.Did not start hurting until right around 3 months.I love to hunt and fish and love to shoot my guns but all wont be the same unless this pain leaves.My surgeon said it was ok to shoot my 45-70 but I doubt he knows what it even is so thats why I will go smaller shooting a well made bullet.Bottom line is its the bullets that count the most and I love the Barnes bullets but the Leverevolutions also look great.My 10 year old son I already bought him a anniversary Marlin in 30-30 and he loves it.Thanks guys for the feedback thats why I love this website. Mike

·
Registered
3,058 Posts
+1 on the 336 SS ! Mine is an 07 I picked up last yr for $435 , never looked back. There are some fantastic hand loads for it.

Don't think any more on it....they just keep going up in price.

·
Premium Member
5,859 Posts
MM has a Marlin 336SS in 30-30 and he really, really likes it a lot. He has the Marlin 336C in a 30-30 now too.

He loves his Marlin rifles! He previously owned and still owns various calibers and styles over many, many, many years - 35Remington, 30-30, 45-70, 22LR, etc.

Best wishes to you!

Catherine

·
Registered
477 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for the replys they are much appreciated.Sounds like a good model.Mike

·
Registered
1,982 Posts
I am lucky, I guess, but I have owned 15 336s that I can recall and none of them showed any significant tendency for shots to wander when they heated up. I know it can happen, but I just don't believe it is as common a problem as you might believe.

·
Registered
16 Posts
I have a marlin 336ss and it shoots high and to the left. At 50yrds with my rear sight on lowest position it shoots 5inches high and 3 inches to the left. I have to slide the rear sight .090 off center to the right to bring windage to center. This is a pretty gun and doing this makes it look bad. Has anyone else had this problem.

·
Registered
218 Posts
Mine is an '09 "JM", tried pretty much all the factory ammo available. 300+ rounds through it. 170g Federal Fusions, under an inch at 100 yards with scope, wider with irons. It heats up enough to take a break after 5-6 in a row.

·
Registered
81 Posts
I bought a Remlin 336SS several months ago. It has a CT barrel and a "MR" serial number (Marlin Remington I presume). It was an unplanned purchase. The walnut on it is outstanding and I had to get it. I've often wondered if the wood was a leftover after a run of Deluxe rifles. Needless to say, I am very happy with it and I think the quality control is back. I have two Remlins now. No problems. I would buy with confidence.

I shoot irons at 50-70 yards.... standing & kneeling mostly. It shoots very well. I spent an afternoon at the range and put 60 rounds through it. My best group was the size of a quarter (4-5 shots) with Federal Blue 150's. The barrel did get hot after two boxes even with taking my time. Overtime my groups opened up due to fatigue and anticipating recoil (way more so than heat).

Its a real game getter. Very accurate and low recoil, I have no doubt you will carry and shoot it with great confidence. As far as heat goes, you have to be a real gunfighter at the range to get the barrel so hot you're shooting outside the rings. You won't be dissapointed.

·
Super Moderator
12,199 Posts
I've owned three of them and they are great guns. This one's different than most but it started life as a regular JM stamped 336SS. There's a lot of older JM stamped guns out there and you can find good deals if you look.

·
Premium Member
4,446 Posts
Well I have more than one Marlin .30-30- and try to give them each their fill of shooting - I use ONLY Hornady Leverevolution in my .30-30s and I like the way they shoot that cartridge better than any other factory load and I do not reload my own. I can't claim to have shot anything other than paper and cardboard since I am not a hunter but I can tell you they all hit were I want them to - -

Marlin 336 30-30 Family.jpg

GB45

1 - 16 of 16 Posts