Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Banned
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello to everyone,
I'm new to the forum. I've been shooting a 336c in .30-30 and a golden 39-A since I was 12 (some 35 years now). I recently acquired a Marlin 336 R.C. in .35 Rem. It has a straight walnut stock with no checkering, 20" barrel with the tube retaining ring at the end of the barrel past the front sight. The buttplate is plastic with a white spacer. The bullseye is present on the lower stock. The front sight is the smaller dovetail type without a cover. Sorry, I'm not able to post pictures right now. The serial # is L127xx. Can someone tell me what this model is called? I've looked at several websites and cannot find this configuration. I looked up the serial number on oldguns.net and it seems it is either 1954 or 1988 based on the first letter or the first two numbers. The receiver is factory tapped on top for a scope and on the left for a receiver sight. I hope this is enough information without a picture for identification. Thanks for your help.
Steve

Reactions: galaxieman

·
Premium Member
All kinds. Enamored of their mechanisms!
11,361 Posts
Older is correct, 1988 would have a cross bolt safety. That'd be a Texan, partner. Very desirable indeed. You are starting out on a good footing here on Marlin Owners. Best forum of any kind on the web with the most honorable membership. Welcome from the Gunshine State. AC

·
Super Moderator
17,244 Posts

·
Premium Member
949 Posts
Welcome to Marlin Owners!
You have a bunch of guys envious of you already.
A Texan and in .35 to boot!
Good for you!!

·
Banned
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
What has me confused is the 336 R.C. The bluebook shows the Texan manufactured from 1954 to 1983 as a 336T. ?? The 336RC carbine was manufactured from 1948 to 1968--were any made with a straight stock?
Steve

·
Banned
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Bart, it looks just like yours. What about the RC? Is this a case of Marlin using available barrels marked RC for the first production of the 336T? I know a lot of Winchester rifles had what are called "transition" guns within the model as the factory used up already manufactured parts before changing to the new ones.
Steve

·
Registered
2,223 Posts
SJ,

You wil enjoy this rifle, even if you don't shoot it, as 95 Lever pointed out a bunch of us prefer the straight grip style. Looks more like Roy Rogers and Gene Autry.
Ss

·
Super Moderator
17,244 Posts
Wish It Was Mine! The Thread It's On Was Started By CITYSLICKER... Im Not Really Up On Texans But My Guess Is The Straight Stocks Were Called Texans.

·
Banned
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks, everybody. The RC was what had me stumped, as the blue book listed the texan as 336t. I appreciate everyone's help.

Steve

·
Premium Member
10,746 Posts
Yes it is a Texan and like mine (also a 43 Texan .35) is Ballard rifled. Mine shoots the Hornady LeverEvolution ammo like a lazer.
100_9220.JPG

Reactions: dhansen

·
Registered
7,307 Posts
The RC was what had me stumped, as the blue book listed the texan as 336t.
The way I understand it is that they actually are "T's", but they just aren't Marked that way.

Looking back, I sure wish they did though. Not only would it had eliminated a lot of confusion, it would be easier to detect a conversion.

Bill

1 - 15 of 15 Posts