Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
These rifles are hard to come by and their owners are justifiably proud when pricing the ones that do come on the market. All that being said, what would it take to have one created by sourcing a more common Model 336 chambered in 30-30 Winchester and having it rebarreled to 356 Winchester? Most 336ER's I have seen are going for $1000 or better. Is this doable mechanically and financially? What all would need to be replaced other that the barrel?

Thomas

·
Registered
1,139 Posts
You could just have it rebored. JES seems popular with some in this site. I'll admit to having a mild interest myself. There seems to some question about whether it's safe, but seem to be quite a few floating around. Soon enough someone with direct experience will come along here to help.

·
Banned
4,733 Posts
I just saw a beautiful Win 94 356 with checkered wood, and scope mounts, like new for $700,and 15 boxes of ammo for $30 each.

Very tempting caliber.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Since the 336C was made in both 30-30 Win and 35 Rem I figure whatever turns up at the best price would be good for a donor action.

Thomas

·
Registered
2,457 Posts
If you do a 35 Remington you need a new bolt, maybe a lifter?, probably other action work?, if you start with a 30-30 all you need is to have JES punch it out, that's what I did, I'm into my 356Win $410, either way it's recommended to use a donor with a forend cap rather than a barrel band.

·
Registered
5,764 Posts
With the 30-30 all is need is a rebore and a rechamber. With the 35 rem the bolt face needs to be opened up to except the 356 win rim and a rechamber. You could also do a 35-358 win and use 358 winchester brass to 356 win loading specs if you reload. Either way it is safe. If have rechambered a 30-30 336 to 307 winchester and it has a higher pressure than 356 win because the bore is smaller and the pressure doesn't dissipate as quickly. My rifle works just fine with loads that are hotter than published but I don't use them.

·
Registered
665 Posts
Big T, Yes it can be done. The receiver is 336 on both models. The bolt on a 30/30 is right. The bigger question is the barrel. Twist on the 35 Rem barrel is wrong and having a barrel re-bored may be great or may not be great. Is the rifling on the 336ER barrel special in some way? I bought a new old stock 336ER barrel from a member here and mounted it on a 30AS. Then I replaced the mag tube with a new short mag tube so it was right. The cartage lifter needed to be filed down a bit because the 356 is a much fatter round than the 30/30. Because of that it didn't want to feed through the loading port. It functions and shoots flawlessly with factory and max hand loads.
Pb

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Big T, Yes it can be done. The receiver is 336 on both models. The bolt on a 30/30 is right. The bigger question is the barrel. Twist on the 35 Rem barrel is wrong and having a barrel re-bored may be great or may not be great. Is the rifling on the 336ER barrel special in some way? I bought a new old stock 336ER barrel from a member here and mounted it on a 30AS. Then I replaced the mag tube with a new short mag tube so it was right. The cartage lifter needed to be filed down a bit because the 356 is a much fatter round than the 30/30. Because of that it didn't want to feed through the loading port. It functions and shoots flawlessly with factory and max hand loads.
Pb
PB,
Now that's the kind of project I was interested in. I would like to be closer to Wrench Man's total than the $1000 that 336ER's are going for.
Even here in L.A. used 30-30's are not that hard to come by.

Thomas

·
Registered
3,109 Posts
Would chose a 1/14 twist over the the 1/16 for a 356 re-bore. Also take a look at the higher pressure reloads for the 35 Rem. Have both a 356 (big bore 94) and several 35 Rem Marlins, when the 35 is reloaded hot the difference between the to is not very much at all. The only significant advantage I have found to the 356 is in the accuracy with 250gr bullets, which is likely twist related. Most folks don't like heavier bullets in the 35 anyway, so it may not be a consideration.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I like the idea of the heavier bullets, specifically boolits. I have a nice 240 gr 35 caliber boolit and I bet it would work like a champ in a 356 Win.

Thomas

·
Registered
3,578 Posts
I like the idea of the heavier bullets, specifically boolits. I have a nice 240 gr 35 caliber boolit and I bet it would work like a champ in a 356 Win.

Thomas
If it is the one from the Lee mold with a wide flat meplat you may find it has to be seated deep in the case to make it not engage the rifling. That's what happens with my 35 Rem due to the short throats but it seems to function better in my 356.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Not sure if it's from a Lee mold or not, I bought mine from Mt. Baldy before they disappeared. I did some work with my 35 Rem and came to the same conclusion you did about seating depth.

Thomas

·
Registered
2,036 Posts
I recently aquired a 336SC in 35 Rem.and then a 336ER.
As much as I like the 35 Rem, the 356 Win is more cartridge. I can load the 356 diwn to 35 Rem, but can't get the 35 Rem near the 356 Win.
At least you can occassionally find 3t Rem ammo. I reload everything but picked up a box of Rem factory 35 Rem just in case I could not get reloading for deer season. Sticker shock!

·
Super Moderator
4,735 Posts
Recommended Reading strikes again.

·
Registered
383 Posts
I have an original 336ER 356 Win; love the gun but haven't had it out of the case in years, primarily because I was fortunate to purchase 338MX. The 338MX is a wonderful lever gun and 338ME is a much better cartridge that the 356 Win in my opinion; but a 338MX is as hard or harder to find than a 336ER and just as expensive, so I'm no help. But if you get a chance at a reasonably priced original Marlin in either caliber you'll do well, just do your homework in advance on the 338MX as some came from the factory with issues.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I have an original 336ER 356 Win; love the gun but haven't had it out of the case in years, primarily because I was fortunate to purchase 338MX. The 338MX is a wonderful lever gun and 338ME is a much better cartridge that the 356 Win in my opinion; but a 338MX is as hard or harder to find than a 336ER and just as expensive, so I'm no help. But if you get a chance at a reasonably priced original Marlin in either caliber you'll do well, just do your homework in advance on the 338MX as some came from the factory with issues.
Not really fair to say the ME's are a - much better cartridge than the ER's. They're a quarter century newer, use flextip bullets, a longer barrel and several new powders designed for lever action rifles.
As far as I know right now, Hornady is loading for the .307 but not the .356 even tho they're making a .35 bullet for the Rem. Be nice if they would factory produce the .356 and the .375 to boot, but the mid-range big bores often get over looked.

·
Registered
2,036 Posts
I had a 338MXLR. Great caliber and good deer killer but a heavy gun. Sadly not a lot of bullet choices for the 338ME.
The 338ME will give you an extra 100 fps or so of velocity with 200 grain bullets over the 356 Win. LVR is the "go-to" powder for the 338ME and gives best caliber performance.
You can always use the .358" FTX bullet in the 356 Win (175 or 200 grain) but for me, so far, the Speer 180 JFP is hard to beat. And I have hundreds of them...

Reactions: Maineiac
1 - 20 of 22 Posts